Overlapping Images

OS (e.g. Win11):
PsychoPy version (e.g. v2021.2):

Hi all,

I am trying to create an experiment where I have five images on screen at the same time. One image is the target image which is at the center of the screen. The rest appear in a square-like manner around the target image.

I wish to decrease the distance between the central target image and surrounding images. I cannot crop any of the images further as this is affecting the quality of my stimuli. Even after reducing the size of my stimuli, I cannot seem to reduce the distance.

All my images have a face against a white background. Is it possible to send the surrounding images to the back (like in Word) such that the white corners of the surrounding images overlap with those of the central image and this is not visible? This would allow me to decrease the distance between the stimuli.

Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to reduce the distance between my images without cropping them?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ishi

Would transparent png backgrounds help?

1 Like

Hello Ishi,

the last picture that PsychoPy draws overlaps the previously drawn ones. So draw the surrounding pictures first and the target picture last.

Best wishes Jens

3 Likes

Hello wakecarter and Jens,

Thank you for your replies.

I converted all images to PNG so that I can make their backgrounds transparent and changed the coding so that the target image was drawn last.

Combining both of your solutions helped me overcome this issue. Appreciate your help!

Many thanks,
Ishi

2 Likes