Orientation of stimuli - backwards in JS vs Python

URL of experiment: https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/MDag/unibi_wm_task

The orientation of stimuli is flipped when executing my experiment in python (i.e. locally) vs when In the task bars rotate either clockwise or anticlockwise.

I am using builder to create an online experiment where Ps are presented with bars that are rotated and participants have to indicate whether the rotation is clockwise or anticlockwise. I have defined the changes in angle of the bars in csv files (see under resources). When I implement the experiment locally, a positive change in orientation (i.e. a bar going from 20deg, to 40deg) appears on the screen as a clockwise rotation (as you would expect). When I implement it through Pavlovia - a positive change in orientation appears on the screen as an anticlockwise rotation (which is backwards to what you would expect).

Is this a bug in my code, or is this just a difference in the way online and local experiments are setup?

This isn’t an issue for me (because I am only going to do online experiments) - but I thought it might be worth noting in case someone wanted to run the experiment both locally and online this might create an issue.

Thanks

You’re not the only one reporting this: Orientation of an ImageStim is set differently in local and online versions

From what I can tell this is just what it looks like, for some reason rotation is inverted in PsychoJS versus PsychoPy. I’ll flag it for the developers.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Has anyone managed to find a fix to this issue? I am still experiencing this issue.

Update to the most recent version of PsychoPy, it was fixed in 2020.2.

I am dragging up this old thread but I will have that problem with the flipped orientations and I am using Psychopy 2020.2.4.

Are you sure this got fixed in the 2020.2 version, in a later one than the 2020.2.4?

Thanks!

There’s a patch note saying it was fixed in 2020.2, at least. Was your experiment originally created in 2020.2.4 or an older version?

I am also still having this problem, even on the newest version of psychopy. I am not sure why it isn’t working on mine.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your reply and yeah, I read exactly the same. Yes, it was coded in 2020.2.4. It is the version I am still using and the issue remained.

I suspect this boils down to something still using outdated code. I would update to the newest version of PsychoPy, change something irrelevant about your experiment, and then re-sync it and see if that fixes the problem. When it recompiles in JS it will hopefully use the code that doesn’t do this. If that doesn’t work, I will look closer at the code itself and see if I can get a sense of what’s happening.