Online experiment not saving

URL of experiment: Positive_Self_Prioritization_Task_A [PsychoPy]

Description of the problem: Hello, I have been collecting data online. I keep receiving emails from my participants that they did the experiment until the end (along with the screen shot of end message) but they were not able to press “space” in the end to actually save the experiment. If I look at my result, there is no data saved. I have lost an awful amount of people now :frowning: I hope you can help me.

Can your participants reach the end screen using only a mouse? If so, the issue may be that they are using a touchscreen device and you haven’t enabled a mouse option for the last Routine.

Yes I have programmed it so that they can only press “space” to end the trial. On that note, how do I enable the mouse and keyboard option at the same time?
Also, a friend told me that it may be to do with buffer - I do not know how to read and write codes - but he was suggesting that I may have not programmed my experiment to clear the buffer so it is holding everything until the end of the experiment, and because of big memory it is taking a long time to save it (it appears stuck at the side of the participant and were not able to press “space”).

Can your participants reach the end screen using only a mouse?

I do not think they could - I have programmed it to press space only.

On earlier routines? You only mentioned space in the final routine.

My experiment is programmed to use “space bar” to move to next trial (however there is one task which uses mouse click - slider ratings). So in this task, the participant sees a video then rate it. After seeing each video, they rate it but can only move to next trial after 3 seconds and by pressing “space”.

1 Like

Would I need to add a “mouse click” to end the trial along with the “space bar” Thank you

No need to add a mouse component.

Try adding an extra routine at the end that displays a message like “Please leave this window open while your data is uploaded “ for around .1 seconds. That will appear when the final space bar is pressed.

Currently PsychoPy uploads all data at the end of the experiment when running online.

So during the end trial (end message), the participant sees a debrief form and ask them to press the space to end trial (I also programmed it, so that even if they do not press space the experiment ends in 20 seconds). Following your message, are you suggesting I amend this, in that after pressing the space (it would not end the trial but add a new trial with text saying, “Please leave this window open while your data is uploaded” (and time it until .1 seconds?). Do I add space again to end this message and save the data. The problem really is that they cannot press the space at the end.

I tried the option here however it is still not saving. Participants still unable to do anything at the end of the experiment (the experiment is stuck at the end of message, cannot press “space” nor click mouse).

I hope for your help

Please could you upload a psyexp file so I can take a look. I was expecting it to “hang” on the please leave message (which shouldn’t have a keyboard response required) rather than the (now) penultimate routine.

https://run.pavlovia.org/jantolin/neutral_self_prioritization_task_b

Thank you sir - that is my study and it is still not saving data unfortunately despite following the suggestion :frowning: I really really hope to hear from you.

I am facing very similar issues wrt data not saving. Wrote a comment here: Credits not being used, and data not saving, for "Running" mode? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

@katiecollins yes - it is the same with me (credits not being granted too). Been loosing participants :frowning:

Hope we can receive help!

Please could you upload your psyexp file so I can take a look, to see if there’s anything unusual about the way you’ve coded your final routine (and whether you’ve implemented my suggestion).

Did you run the latest version.

You could also try shortening the study to make it easier to test, plus finding out whether there is still a problem with less data to upload.

Where could I upload the file? Thank you for looking into this sir.

Thank you - I can only upload the exp - the whole folder is unfortunately too big

Negative_Self_Prioritization_Task_A.psyexp (171.1 KB)

@wakecarter would you like me to upload the whole experiment sir with the stimuli and excel file somewhere else? unfortunately as I am using videos, it is too big.