"NotAllowedError: user denied permission" - issues running online experiment with included videos

URL of experiment: here

Description of the problem:
I am attempting to run an online reaction time experiment with a within-participant design whereby participants are shown a video before completing a perspective-taking task, then watch a different video and repeat the task. This experiment works on my own laptop and SOME others’ computers, however, am finding a reoccurring error message:

“NotAllowedError: the request is not allowed by the user agent or the platform in the current context, possibly because the user denied permission”

I have found forum posts and help suggestions explaining the issue may be because of the media (videos) being seen as pop-ups for some devices and this can be rectified by allowing participants to interact with the videos (a play button). Having said this, I cannot seem to make this work for psychopy.

If anyone has any idea on why this error is being displayed and how I can rectify this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

(I have run this on chrome, safari, firefox and edge - I am using macOS)

Maybe you can try setting autoPlay=false

Thank you very much - Where should i look to implement “autoPlay=false”

Hi, I’m attaching a minimal demo that plays a movie with a button press :slight_smile:
play movie with button.zip (2.4 MB)

Thank you very much!

Hello, did this answer your question? If so please do mark the appropriate answer as the solution.

Thanks!
Becca

Hi! Just wondering if you solved this issue? I’m have the exact same error with safari too, but everything was fine with Chrome. I actually have play and pause buttons in my experiment, and set it so that the video will only start to play after the participant press the play button. But I’m still having this error…

1 Like

Hello, Did anyone found a solution for this issue ? I’m still trying to solve it , I have this error on iPad (Chrome and safari) ,