Local Experiment crashing around 23-24 minutes

I have an experiment that its supposed to keep running trials for 25 minutes. Unfortunately, the experiment stops just around 24 minutes.
There’s no new variable introduced just before it stops, and making the experiment shorter keeps it from crashing, but I really need it running for 25 minutes.

Traceback (most recent call last):
15.0970 WARNING User requested fullscreen with size [1280 720], but screen is actually [1920, 1080]. Using actual size
2.2605 WARNING Monitor specification not found. Creating a temporary one…
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics_init_.py”, line 452, in _get_domain
domain = domain_map[key]
KeyError: ((‘v2f/dynamic’, ‘t3f/dynamic’, ‘c4B/dynamic’), 7, False)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “C:\Users\gabri\psychopy\PSAP_FINAL_lastrun.py”, line 714, in
textContadorAPSAP.setText(ContadorA, log=False)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\text.py”, line 383, in setText
setAttribute(self, ‘text’, text, log)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\tools\attributetools.py”, line 134, in setAttribute
setattr(self, attrib, value)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\tools\attributetools.py”, line 27, in set
newValue = self.func(obj, value)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\text.py”, line 374, in text
self._setTextShaders(text)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\text.py”, line 392, in _setTextShaders
self.pygletTextObj = pyglet.text.Label(
File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text_init
.py", line 456, in init
self.document.set_style(0, len(self.document.text), {
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\document.py”, line 603, in set_style
return super(UnformattedDocument, self).set_style(
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\document.py”, line 512, in set_style
self.dispatch_event(‘on_style_text’, start, end, attributes)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\event.py”, line 418, in dispatch_event
if handler(*args):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\layout.py”, line 1073, in on_style_text
self._init_document()
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\layout.py”, line 1043, in _init_document
self._update()
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\layout.py”, line 980, in _update
self._create_vertex_lists(left + line.x, top + line.y,
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\layout.py”, line 1476, in create_vertex_lists
box.place(self, i, x, y, context)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\text\layout.py”, line 370, in place
vertex_list = layout.batch.add(n_glyphs * 4, GL_QUADS, group,
File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics_init
.py", line 368, in add
domain = self.get_domain(False, mode, group, formats)
File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics_init
.py", line 458, in _get_domain
domain = vertexdomain.create_domain(*formats)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics\vertexdomain.py”, line 140, in create_domain
return VertexDomain(attribute_usages)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics\vertexdomain.py”, line 189, in init
attribute.buffer = vertexbuffer.create_mappable_buffer(
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics\vertexbuffer.py”, line 115, in create_mappable_buffer
return MappableVertexBufferObject(size, target, usage)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics\vertexbuffer.py”, line 389, in init
super(MappableVertexBufferObject, self).init(size, target, usage)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics\vertexbuffer.py”, line 308, in init
glBufferData(target, self.size, None, self.usage)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\lib.py”, line 106, in errcheck
raise GLException(msg)
pyglet.gl.lib.GLException: b’sem mem\xf3ria’
Exception ignored in: <function VertexDomain.del at 0x0000013DF94300D0>
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\pyglet\graphics\vertexdomain.py”, line 238, in del
for attribute in self.attributes:
AttributeError: ‘VertexDomain’ object has no attribute ‘attributes’
################ Experiment ended with exit code 1 [pid:12084] #################

I really have no idea how I could fix this.
Anyone could please tell me what may be wrong?

That looks like a memory leak that we’ve previously fixed. What version of PsychoPy are you using? (It’s always good in a forum post to state the exact version of PsychoPy you’re using)

Sorry jon, forgot to post that I am using v2022.1.4.

The issue seemed to be with my “Use Psychopy version: latest”, that runned experiments in an older version.

By manually selecting 2022.1.4 in use version, I avoided this and some other issues I faced since I installed this new version.

Thank you very much

if thats a memory leak, then perhaps you should do del var_name more often in your code, manually
python’s garbage collector can be sloppy, especially when calling external graphical libraries, such as matplotlib

I’m afraid del almost certainly won’t help. The memory leak wasn’t caused by that sort of error - it isn’t an accumulation of ever-more variables that haven’t been deleted. What caused the problem in the past, specifically with TextStim, was with graphics card memory: the OpenGL (ie. graphics card) resources used TextStim objects are not tracked by Python garbage collection and need explicitly destroying. That’s now handled by our TextStim destructor but at one point that wasn’t working correctly (if I remember correctly there was a circular reference that meant the reference count never reached 0) which meant the graphics card memory eventually ran out with the GLException as above.

@Gabriel_Terhoch For useVersion I’d recommend leaving it blank to start with, while creating/debugging. That’s faster to compile experiments apart from anything else. And then fix it to the version you’re on once you start running the study “for real”. But your issue has made me realise one way that useVersion will not always be using the truly ‘latest’ and has accidentally loaded a version /older/ than your installed version (2022.1.4). I’ll fix that for the next release. cheers

1 Like

We are currently having the same problem with what I believe is the latest PsychoPy version (2022.2.2). The experiment runs okay for about 25 minutes (3~ish blocks of trials) and then crashes with error messages identical to those provided by Gabriel_Terhoch above. We tried to manually set the version to avoid any possibility that the unanticipated use of a previous version was the issue, but to no effect. (We also tried setting it to use 2022.1.4, in case there was something magical about that particular version, but again no luck.) If anyone has an idea how to get around this issue, I’d love to hear it.

System details:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5500 CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.79 GHz
8,00 GB RAM (7,85 GB usable)
Windows 10 Home

I’m not sure whether it’s relevant, but for completeness: We’re running two monitors from the experimental computer—one for experimental presentation, and one to display EEG activity.

Please could you paste your error message, even though it is similar? Since this thread has a solution it would be better to start a new thread with a link to this one, noting that you are keeping the useVersion field blank.

The error messages are 100% identical, with the obvious exception of the script name whence the error originates. We’ve managed to get around it now by replacing our use of textStim with textBox2. (We now have a different memory-related error, but I’ll create a new thread for that if we have difficulty solving it.)