List index out of range, why?

If this template helps, then use it. If not, then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): macOS catalina
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2020.1.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?:
What are you trying to achieve?:
I am trying to import photos into my experiment using excel.
What did you try to make it work?:
I have prepared an excel to have all my stimulus listed.
What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Here is my excel.

Here is how I set up for trials, which I want participants to have 7 trials.

And here is the error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/athenahuang/Downloads/CIS Experiment/CIS_3_lastrun.py”, line 366, in
trialList=data.importConditions(’…/…/…/…/Users/athenahuang/Downloads/CIS Experiment/image_stimuli.xlsx’, selection=‘0:7’),
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/data/utils.py”, line 417, in importConditions
fieldName = fieldNames[colN]
IndexError: list index out of range

I think PsychoPy keeps running the lastrun.py file to “run my experiment,” even when I have edited it and clicked save. This is pretty annoying. Is there any way to update the last run as soon as I edit something in my GUI?

Thank you very much!
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

On the fact that it runs your lastrun.py, it is because you do not compile the script by just saving. Every time you make changes, you must send experiment to Runner (green arrow with grey box) or run experiment directly (green arrow).

Reattach your conditions file so it is being opened from the correct folder. You shouldn’t have …/ in the path.

This can also happen if any column of your condition file sheet has data in it, but doesn´t have a name.

2 Likes