Issues with sound engine and screen while designing a picture naming task

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10

PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2021.2.3 for 64bit Windows (using Python3.6)

Standard Standalone? (y/n) : Yes

What are you trying to achieve?:
I am designing a picture naming task in which the subjects have to name certain pictures as quickly as possible. I will use reaction times in the analysis procedure.

What did you try to make it work?:
used Builder and followed the steps shown on Demo videos, such as inserting routines, loops, and adding pictures.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
|1.7045 |WARNING |We strongly recommend you activate the PTB sound engine in PsychoPy prefs as the preferred audio engine. Its timing is vastly superior. Your prefs are currently set to use [‘sounddevice’, ‘PTB’, ‘pyo’, ‘pygame’] (in that order).

|11.3858 |WARNING |User requested fullscreen with size [1024 768], but screen is actually [1920, 1080]. Using actual size|

I am new to Psychopy. Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Hello Faraj

what is your question?

Best wishes Jens

If your question is about these Warnings don’t worry too much.

The first one “WARNING |We strongly recommend you activate the PTB sound engine …” this means that if you are using PsychoPy locally, click on the cog icon :experiment_settings: and select the audio tab, you can then select “ptb” as your chosen sound library.

The second one “User requested fullscreen with size [1024 768], but screen is actually [1920, 1080]. Using actual size|” this probably means that you need to configure your screen settings. First open Monitor Center :monitor_center: then add a monitor and give it the resolution of your screen etc. Then inside experiment settings :experiment_settings: click on “screen” and make sure to use the name of the monitor you created rather than “testMonitor”

In general “warnings” are just guidance, they are not errors that will stop your experiment from running.

Hope this helps getting started!
Becca

Dear Becca,
Thank you so much for your invaluable advice and clarification. Dear Becca, if you don’t mind, I have one further question: As I mentioned, I am planning to examine the lexical access of certain subjects through a picture naming task and using the reaction times (response times) in the analysis procedure. I have followed your instructions, and the experiment seems to work well. However, the one I have designed is based on recording the reaction times as the subjects PRESS a button. The question is whether it is possible for the Psychopy to record the reaction times verbally (i.e., recording the response times based on the onset of the name as is Uttered instead of pressing the button).

Dear JensBoelte,
Thank you so much for your concern. As I mentioned, I am planning to examine the lexical access of certain subjects through a picture naming task and using the reaction times (response times) in the analysis procedure. I have followed Dear Becca’s advice for the problem I faced, and the experiment seems to work well. However, the one I have designed is based on recording the reaction times as the subjects PRESS a button. The question is whether it is possible for the Psychopy to record the reaction times verbally (i.e., recording the response times based on the onset of the name as is Uttered instead of pressing the button).

Hello,

the microphone-component does not offer this possibility, afaik. But there is a voice-koey component which can be accessed via code, at least I infer this from the documentation. Perhaps this helps as well.

Bets wishes Jens

Dear JensBoelte, I do appreciate your clarification and suggestion.