Issues presenting video stim (audio skipping, lagging)

OS Win11
PsychoPy version 2022.2.4

Hello everyone,

I am trying to run an experiment that involves a series of relatively small/short audio-visual movies (most ranging from 10-30 seconds and 1-5mb; several are 10mb) and I’m having issues with the audio not playing smoothly. The videos are set in a loop, where each video plays in order and is followed by a multiple-choice question. I’ve set it up so the loop is working well but the videos are being stubborn.

When using ffpyplayer on the backend, the videos run smoothly but the audio stutters for ~5 seconds after each video ends. I tried using moviepy on the backend instead and that stopped the stuttering, but a new issue cropped up where the audio lags 1-2 seconds behind the video. In both cases I’m getting this error message:

WARNING Parameter volume has unrecognised inputType “float”

Someone suggested that I try pre-loading the videos in each trial using a 1-second ISI component, but when I changed the settings so videos set during the ISI (rather than set every repeat) I got the following error:

VideoComponents = [MASC_Video, ISI]
NameError: name ‘MASC_Video’ is not defined

I also saw a tip on the discourse forums to separate the audio and video files, so I tried that (using mp3 format audio files and disabling audio for the video files) but got the following error:

RuntimeError: Error opening ‘Q1-audio.mp3’: File contains data in an unknown format.

I’m a bit stuck as to what to try next. Any advice would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Michelle