"IndexError: list index out of range" when opening Preferences

OK so it seems this is a symptom of a networks of bugs (possibly related to the 2020.1.3 version) that runs quite deep and is hard to pinpoint. I’ve spent the last hours trying to figure out what the problem is exactly, till I got stuck again - so hopefully someone can help out.

If in the hardware prefs, the first in the list of audio libraries is:

• ‘pyo’, then I get the “IndexError: list index out of range” error reported above, that others also reported, although their problem was not followed through to a solution
  • ‘sounddevice’, then I get inaccurate sound delivery, as described in problem #3 that I reported here a while ago - again, no luck with replies
  • ‘PTB’, then there is no sound coming through the speakers when the stimuli are played back in the experiment

The list of preferences for the audio drivers on the other hand appear in my testing to make no difference.

I have an on-board Realtek soundcard (Lenovo laptop) that otherwise works fine. With the exception of the second point above, I’ve not had these problems in the previous (pre 2020) versions of psychopy, thus I imagine this is related to the changes in v2020.

Finally, as a purely ‘cosmetic’ bug in this version, when any change is made to said lists of prefences, the Units are set back to deg although they were previously set to norm.

I very much hope to be able to make progress with this - thanks in advance for any help!!