How to go the next question after response and not force end routine

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): newest
Standard Standalone? (y/n) : y
What are you trying to achieve?:
Hi guys, I need to record two responses per routine (trial) in my experiment.
The first question requires a slider response and the second question requires the participant to press a key. Pressing the key ends the routine and moves onto the next routine in the loop.
I have so far set the slider response duration to 5 seconds but I would like the slider response to end and go to the key response after the participant responds. However, the only option in the Builder view is ‘force end routine’ after response. Is there a way to move on to the next question after responding to the first?

What did you try to make it work?:
Went as far as inserting a generous amount of time for the slider response but the routine loops 300 times and this will make the entire experiment take too long :frowning:

I set the slider not to end the routine and the keyboard response to do so.

Am I missing something?

Does the keyboard response have to check that the slider has been moved? I use a short code component for that.

Hi wakecarter,
Could you please share that code (both python and javascript). I am facing a similar problem where I would like to force participants to make the slider response before they can advance to the next trial via pressing the space bar.
Thank you so much!

Please have a look at my interactive slider demo. I’m on my phone at the moment.

Search for interactive slider or online demos.

Hi wakecarter, and thanks very much! The interactive slider demo is very cool. I only need participants to be able to advance once they have made a selection on the slider. I seem to be able to do that locally simply by having a code snippet that ends the routine only if both slider and keyboard responses have been registered. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to work online, plus it does not account for participants pressing the spacebar to advance (even if accidentally) before making a slider selection, which means that as soon as they click on the slider the experiment will jump to the next trial. What are the parts of your code that I’d need to simply force participants to make a slider selection and then be able to press the spacebar to advance?
Thanks again,
Joan

1 Like