Getting subjects to go on a webpage and then come back? Help!

URL of experiment: Experiment not built yet

Description of the problem:
Hello everyone!

I wish to build an experiment where participants go on a specific webpage and that after a specific time on that webpage (say 5 minutes) they get automatically sent back to the rest of the experiment. Anyone knows how I can do this?

Thanks !!!

Could you tell us a bit more about what kind of things you tried out and where you’re encountering problems?

Thank you for your response.

This is what I have tried:

I have found this code on stackoverflow

url = "https://google.com"
import os
import sys

if sys.platform == 'win32':
    os.system("start "+url)
else:
    os.system("xdg-open "+url)

however it doesn’t really work for me, as it only opens a new window with the link (google, in this example) and doesn’t guarantee that the subject will come back to the experiment.

I’m trying to get the webpage (google or other) to open WITHIN the psychopy experiment. Even if it’s not full screen. This way I can, for instance, program the experiment so that after a certain time of “browsing” the embedded web page, the response page appears.

Thanks for clarifying! For the python side, I’d recommend reposting your question in the PsychoPy category; then you’ll draw the attention of out Python guys.

I’m a JS developer, and on that level you could try making a custom webpage that opens the actual one in an iframe or a frameset? You could set a time limit on your custom webpage. Note this might not work with any website though.

Thank you! I will ask the Python guys. And thank you also for the advice for the custom webpage, I will look into it!