Get duration of a keypress from builder (python)

hello,

not sure if there is a weird thing going on, but i’m just trying to find the duration of a keypress from an in-person experiment created using the builder.

a keyboard is made in the routine (called response). the keyPress class is meant to have .name .rt .tDown and .duration methods to calculate (and return) these things, including the duration a button was pressed. I want to store this duration (interval reproduction task), but can’t access it at all. I can’t index it using the response.duration method which normally works when getting RTs. I thought this might be because the compiled code just doesnt store it, but even when i add in code to store this, it stores None

for example, if i do this in my code block:

print('first rt: ' + str(_response_allKeys[0].rt))
print('first key: ' + str(_response_allKeys[0].name))
print('first dur: ' + str(_response_allKeys[0].duration))

if len(response.keys) > 0:
    firstkey = _response_allKeys[0]
    intervals.addData('response.duration', firstkey.duration)
elif len(response.keys) == 0:
    intervals.addData('response.duration', -999)

if i do this, the rt and name of they key that were pressed will get printed, but duration comes out as None

Is there a way of getting the duration of a keypress from within the builder (i.e. stored as part of the keyPress class output from the builder compiled code calling keyboard.getKeys() or is that not possible?

Thanks!

looks like this doesn’t work unless waitRelease=True which the builder components don’t allow you to set (at least in 2022.2.4) – which means you need to manually edit the python compiled code from the builder, and also some trivial code to add the duration to the output csv file.