Feedback interferes with stimulus

Hi everyone.

I am currently struggling with an issue regarding feedback. My experiment shows 10 images to participants which they should try to remember. Then, a memory test is conducted during which 10 distractors and 10 target objects are presented individually on a screen, in random order. Participants should then click on one of two buttons and decide whether the image had been presented at the start of the experiment (target objects). It’s a simple yes or no answer. After each response from the participant a feedback is provided: either “correct!” or “incorrect!” on a blank screen. I have built the feedback mechanism according to these instructions:

https://www.psychopy.org/recipes/builderFeedback.html

Now, every now and again, feedback is being provided to the participants right after they read the instructions for the memory test and without showing the first stimulus. So the program is leaving out the first stimulus of the file which contains the distractors and target objects and jumps right to the feedback message which is very irritating. It doesn’t always happen which makes it even more confusing.

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version: v2022.2.1
What are you trying to achieve?:

I am trying to fix the bug that was described above. The first stimulus from the stimulus file should always be presented after participants read the memory test instructions.

What did you try to make it work?:

I have inserted a “neutral” stimulus at the beginning of my stimulus file and coded it with a 0 which means that it is neither a target object nor a distractor. I have also played around with the “selected rows” function and varied the starting point from 0 to 1. I have also closed the PsychoPy application before each participant and re-inserted the stimulus file.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

I don’t get an error message. The first stimulus is just SOMETIMES not being presented even though it’s included in the file. My suspicion is that there might be something wrong with the feedback loop. My code contains a line that says #stored on last run routine (which I included according to the tutorial). So my guess is that the feedback needs to be “cleared” or “reset” at the very beginning of the experiment. But I haven’t figured out how to do that.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Hi @Toby_Larsson, could you upload your psyexp file or show a screenshot of your flow?

Hi @ajus

Yeah, sure! I uploaded the experiment file and the image file.

Please note that the relevant part of the experiment is the “img_test”; I highlighted in on the below screenshot.

wiegand_sequence_learning_10_rand.psyexp (540.8 KB)

test_set_10_rand.xlsx (11.7 KB)

Thanks for having a look.

Hi @Toby, I have a suspicion: Maybe first stimulus sometimes is “skipped”, because you click to finish the instruction routine and if you coincidentally click in a location where a button is initiated for the following routine PsychoPy may treat the button as being clicked.

Maybe try any of the solutions discussed here and see if the problem persists: Button component registers clicks from previous routine - #4 by umb

This seems to have done the trick! I hope I’m not saying this prematurely, but the bug appeared in none of my following test trials. Well done, @ajus, spot on! Thank you so much :slight_smile: