Experiment runs fine in Mac, but Psychopy doesn’t respond in Windows when pressing ESC to end the experiment

Hi,

I designed a reaction time experiment (with short videos) using the builder in my MacBook and I have only used the code component once in order to obtain the participants’ consent.

When running the experiment on several Windows computers, it runs fine until the last key response (escape) is pressed to end the experiment. The screen goes blank and does not close automatically; it is here when Psychopy stops responding. Sometimes everything closes after a few seconds and on some occasions an error message appears: “Python is not responding”. The main problem is that the files stored are in blank too.

If we finish the experiment by pressing escape at the consent form part, it closes smoothly and stores the data correctly. The PsychoPy version is 2023.2.3 in both systems. I’ve checked the preferences and they are the same too. Can somebody tell me where the error might originate from?

This is the lastrun.py document generated in my MacBook where the experiment runs smoothly:

https://univmurcia-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/irene_bolumarm_um_es/EWDhqt3AUEFOuixVaYskUMgBitRiKAIDLDa1-5QAWLpxkw?e=dAN85w

Thanks!

Please don’t use Escape to end experiments. Escape means abort. Add a keyboard component to the final routine to end on a space or something.

I have a keyboard component and I tried changing the allowed key to a ‘c’ to end the routine, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

The only way I found that solved this issue was selecting an older PsychoPy version (2023.2.1) in the experiment settings. The version 2023.2.2. still crashes when finishing the experiment on a Windows device.