Experiment does not work on Windows 10 PC, but does on other PCs

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 21.1.0
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?:
What are you trying to achieve?:
I have a task thats working on my Mac and on another Windows 10 PC. However I don’t get it working on the PC Im testing on.
What did you try to make it work?:
Tried and installed versions 2020.2.4 and 2020.2.10 and 2021.1 for windows 64 bit but keep getting the same error.
What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
####### Running: C:\Users\klin_vl\Desktop\PAT_new\PAT_final_lastrun.py ########
59.0880 INFO Loaded monitor calibration from [‘2020_09_28 14:28’]
59.4498 INFO C:\Users\klin_vl\AppData\Local\PsychoPy3\pythonw.exe -m psychopy.scripts.psyexpCompile C:\Users\klin_vl\Desktop\PAT_new\PAT_final.psyexp -o C:\Users\klin_vl\Desktop\PAT_new\PAT_final_lastrun.py -v 2020.2.10
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\klin_vl\Desktop\PAT_new\PAT_final_lastrun.py”, line 17, in
psychopy.useVersion(‘2020.2.10’)
File “C:\Users\klin_vl\AppData\Local\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\tools\versionchooser.py”, line 84, in useVersion
raise ValueError(msg.format(requestedVersion))
ValueError: Unknown version 2020.2.10

Experiment ended.

Looks like it’s having trouble checking out that version from GitHub - what happens when you change the version in Experiment Settings? Is it unable to check out any version, or just 2020.2.10?

yeah just 2020.2.10 is standing there, and ‘latest’

So I checked the Psychopy on my mac and on another Windows 10 pc; there experiment settings just show multiple versions and the tasks runs well…

How can it be I can’t get it running on the other PC (also Windows 10; but no versions under experiment settings)?

Probably a red herring but there used to be an issue with a particular version of Windows 10 and dual monitor PCs

Mmm yeah, we are running it from a screen that is attached to a laptop, but other Psychopy tasks are running on the PC and the error in the ‘dual monitor’ post seems a different one…

One difference between the tasks that run and this one is that this one uses the textbox and has coding in ‘each frame’, but I don’t see how this can be related…

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother you again, but does anyone have an idea why specifically this task does not work on this PC? I got other Psychopy tasks running on the same pc, difference between the tasks that run and this one is that this one uses the textbox and has coding in ‘each frame’, but I don’t see how this can be related. Also, in experiment settings it only shows this version and ‘latest’ (no other versions). I have this task working on other Mac or Windows 10 pc’s…

Best regards, Sanne

Do you mean an editable text box? If so, it may be that it isn’t intended to update every frame (in addition to being editable). However, this is a new feature which I haven’t used yet because at last count I couldn’t get it to work online and I have code to do the same job that does.

PAT_final.psyexp (176.9 KB)
Hi wakecarter, No, I have this task (see attached) and it does work on a Mac an Windows 10 pc; but in our lab where we have a laptop and then connected to a screen where the task should play it does not run… I am not sure why… (because other psychopy tasks do run here…)

Best regards, Sanne