Error stopping the experiment from running


An error warning shows on the screen when I attempt to run the experiment,

Please check the details below:

“Traceback (most recent call last):

File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\”, line 1206, in runFile

File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\runner\”, line 729, in runLocal

procStarted = self.runFile(

File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\runner\”, line 122, in runFile


File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\”, line 112, in write


File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\”, line 139, in broadcast


File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\encodings\”, line 19, in encode

return codecs.charmap_encode(input,self.errors,encoding_table)[0]

UnicodeEncodeError: ‘charmap’ codec can’t encode characters in position 42-44: character maps to ”

Please provide me with a solution as soon as possible.

Best regards,


Do you have a “smart quote” where you should have a "dumb quote"?

all quotes used are dumb quotes.

Are you using any non-Latin characters?

I removed all non-Latin characters and still cannot run the experiment.

However, I noticed non-Latin characters in the location of the saved file. Do these have impact?
And how can I change them?

That’s the folder your experiment is saved in. I’d recommend renaming it

This is the “desktop” but I am not sure why is it written in other than English. Although English is chosen as the main language for this laptop all the settings of the laptop are in English.

المرسل من Outlook لـ iOS

I recommend creating a new folder in your documents folder, copying the experiment files to it and trying again.

I did that. Unfortunately, when it comes to the location of the folder it types in other than English characters.

Although when I open the laptop’s documents or desktop I find them written in English characters.

Thank you so much for helping me detect the problem.

I tried to save the file in Drive (C). Fortunately., it saved it in English characters and I was able to run the experiment.

Thanks a million.

Yet, I am still not sure why is it changing the desktop’s name when I save it there. Although the Window’s language in the settings is English.