Error message when syncing experiments from PsychoPy Builder to Pavlovia

This thread now seems to contain multiple different issues.

For RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in comparison the issue might be related to one of these threads

Sadly the same issue with PsychoPy 2022.2.4

This seems to be a problem writing the psyexp file on save - the .psyexp is essentially a .xml file, so on saving we construct an XML ElementTree object and then convert it to a string and save. The error is happening during this conversion to string, it looks like it’s hitting some infinite loop somewhere in the ElementTree.

One possibility (though unlikely) is that your system recursion limit is simply lower than the amount of recursion necessary to write the file, so you can check by typing this into the Python shell in Coder:

import sys
print(sys.getrecursionlimit())

It should be 1000 by default, which is far more than I would expect your experiment would require, but it’s worth checking just in case.

Could you share the last version of the psyexp file which you were able to save, and what changes you’d made since? If I can recreate this error then it will be much easier to figure out how to fix it.

Hi there. I confirm that the Pavlovia-Sync segmentation fault error persists also in PsychoPy 2022.2.4 (installed on Linux bll4 5.18.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 5.18.16-1 (2022-08-10) x86
_64 GNU/Linux).

I have some slides explaining a simple workaround (trivial, maybe, but I wasn’t aware this was possible):
PavloviaSync_workaround

As for one .psyexp file that won’t sync in PsychoPy, here is a link:
exp01.psyexp

Best,
Marco