Error message when opening an old experiment after updating the psychopy version(2022.1)

OS (e.g. Win10): Win11
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2022.1
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Standard Standalone
What are you trying to achieve?:

I’ve updated my psychopy version from 2021.2.3 to 2022.1. But when I open an old experiment, it gaves me error message as followed:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\gitlab\”, line 304, in wrapped_f
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\gitlab\”, line 112, in get
server_data = self.gitlab.http_get(path, **kwargs)
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\gitlab\”, line 662, in http_get
result = self.http_request(
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\gitlab\”, line 628, in http_request
raise gitlab.exceptions.GitlabHttpError(
gitlab.exceptions.GitlabHttpError: 404: 404 Project Not Found

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\”, line 735, in fileOpen
self.project = pavlovia.getProject(filename)
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\”, line 1253, in getProject
project = session.gitlab.projects.get(name)
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\gitlab\v4\objects\”, line 782, in get
return cast(Project, super().get(id=id, lazy=lazy, **kwargs))
File “D:\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\gitlab\”, line 306, in wrapped_f
raise error(e.error_message, e.response_code, e.response_body) from e
gitlab.exceptions.GitlabGetError: 404: 404 Project Not Found

It doesn’t prevent me from running it in the local machine. However, I can’t synchronize with the project in pavlovia. Meanwhile, if I tried to synchronize in the builder view, it report the same error message again. How can I solve this problem?

You have a try like this:Open settings

Thanks for your suggestion! I tried to change this setting from “latest” to blank, but it did not seem to work.

If you find the experiment using the search interface, is there a value for “Local Root”? If not, try setting it to the folder the experiment is in and then syncing - it hopefully should detect the existing local .git files and make the connection

I tried to just delete the ‘.git’ folder, and the experiment can work again. I might just need to re-synchronize the project again.

Deleting the .git folder means there’s no reference to the online project in the folder with the local project - the two essentially become independent of one another. To get it linked back up, you’ll need to create an empty folder to download the online experiment to & then copy the files over, as it needs to recreate the .git folder.

Deleting the .git folder can prevent an error message, but in general it causes more problems than it solves so always be cautious when deleting git files!

Thanks for your reminder!! :grin: