Does a Laptop Affect Timing Precision?

Hello everyone,

I came across a note in the System Requirements of psychtoolbox that caught my attention: “Try to avoid PC laptops with hybrid-graphics, e.g., with NVidia Optimus or AMD Enduro technology! Under MS-Windows the visual onset timing of the high-performance GPU will very likely be wrong on most such laptops, and there is no known way to fix this with software workarounds, so you might be restricted to the integrated low-performance GPU. At least Intel integrated GPUs are often very buggy under MS-Windows, so you would be out of luck completely!” I am curious whether the same situation applies to PsychoPy.

My experiment is related to time perception, where stimulus presentation times range from 400 ms, 600 ms, 800 ms, 1000 ms, to 1200 ms. I would like to know if I should be concerned about the timing precision of my laptop, given the specific requirements outlined in psychtoolbox’s notes.

Additionally, my computer configuration is as follows: AMD 5900HS, RTX 3060 Laptop, with a display refresh rate of 120Hz. The OS is Windows 10.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice you can provide!

Best regards,
Yu