What are you trying to achieve?:
I am trying to figure out how to create a criterion-based test-feedback phase for my experiment, in which participants will be asked to report the right-hand members of word pairs studied before, when cued with the corresponding left-hand members of the word pairs.
The criterion would be just 1 ‘hit’, so that after the first correct response, the item should be considered as learned.
The learned items should then be progressively dropped of the trial list as the participants works through the test-feedback phase, so that only non-learned items would be presented again.
To be clear, non-learned items should not appear again after a wrong answer has been provided, but only on subsequent cycles of the same trial list.
Moreover, the presentation of stimuli would follow a sequential order.
What did you try to make it work?:
I tried to use the strategies and scripts proposed in these quite insightful threads:
In particular, I downloaded and tested ‘criterion2.psyexp’ as it comes in the first thread above, with the exception that I halved the stimuli (from 6 to 3) for the sake of simplicity. Therefore, the resulting trial list was composed of just three stimuli: the word pairs ‘skirt - blade’, ‘ant - phone’, and ‘graph - rain’. I also kept the learning criterion at two, and maintained the feedback routine.
What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
When I tried the script myself, the following happened: I responded correctly to the first two word pairs in the first two rounds of practice (thus achieving the learning criterion for these word pairs) and always gave wrong answers to the third word pair. Nonetheless, the experiment kept presenting the first two word pairs on the next cycle of the trial list. Moreover, during these additional presentation of the already learned word pairs, the feedback now warned me that the expected response was now the one belonging to the third word pair (i.e., the last in the trial list). I did not change anything in that script except for the amount of items in the trial lists, which doesn´t seem to be hardcoded anywhere in the script, and I was not able to figure out why the approach used in that script did not work for me, whereas it worked fine for other users.