Hi, I need some help in building a study! I am familiar with the very basics of creating an experiment in Builder view (I use PsychoPy in an online lab) but I am not sure about how to go about creating this specific task. Could you please give me some advice on how to get started?
I would like to create the “Box Task” in Builder, with the aim of uploading it to Pavlovia and then running the study on M-Turk.
The Box Task (a variant of the more famous Beads - or Urn - Task) is used to gauge probability estimations. In the Box Task the display shows a number of boxes (grey rectangles) - let’s say 24. Once the participant “opens” the boxes (by clicking on them) they reveal their “true” color, that may be either red or blue. On the top of the screen the participant can see two numbers, for example 80/20, that shows the relative proportions of the two colors (without specifying which is which.)
The goal of the game is to guess which color is more frequent and which one is less frequent. The IV is the number of clicks made by the participant before making a choice.
So what I need is:
- create 24 grey rectangles
- associate a color (blue or red) to each one of them, possibly at random but according to a certain proportion (let’s say 80/20)
- when clicked on, the rectangles reveal their color
- the participant guesses which color is more frequent by pressing r (for red) or b (for blue)
- the display gives feedback
- the display moves on to the next trial
- the number of rectangles may change
- the relative proportion of colors may change
The program should record reaction times before each click and number of clicks before moving to the next screen.
If you could give me some suggestions on how to get started I would really appreciate it!