Changing the time stamp of the mouse component to be saved relative to the whole experiment

OS Win10
PsychoPy version v2020.2.5
Standard Standalone? yes

I built a visuomotor rotation experiment and connected this to the pupil labs eye tracker system. All this works fine. Now I’m trying to make sense of the time stamps in the behavioral data and I noticed that all components except for the mouse component have a time stamp starting relative to the whole experiment. But the mouse components starts relative to the respective routine, which seems quite unhandy. In the description of the mouse component it says this: “Whenever the mouse state is saved (e.g. on button press or at end of trial) a time is saved too. Do you want this time to be relative to start of the [Routine], or the start of the whole experiment?”
But it doesn’t give any information on how this can be changed. So does anyone know how I change the time stamps of the mouse component to be relative to the whole experiment?
Of course I already collected some data this way… Is there a way to posthoc get the time stamps of the beginning of each routine relative to the whole experiment?

I’d be happy to get any suggestions!

Hi There,

Have you had a play with the ‘time relative to’ parameter in the mouse component? If you cannot see this option you might need to install a more recent release Releases · psychopy/psychopy · GitHub

Hope this helps :slight_smile:
Becca

Oh no, I can’t believe I missed that! Yes, that definitely helps, thank you! That will make the next set of data much easier to analyze :smile:

Do you maybe know if it possible to get time stamps of the beginning of each routine relative to the whole experiment after the data is collected already?

In theory yes, if you have other components in your routine that had the onset/offset times saved relative to experiment start time and you know the time of mouse relative to that component you could interpolate this.

BUT it wouldn’t be possible to get exact timestamps post hoc as you wouldn’t be able to extrapolate what was happening real time in your experiment (e.g. if a frame was dropped)

Hope that helps,
Becca

Okay. Yes, so I do have other components in all routines and these all have their onset times saved relative to the whole experiment. I’ll try to at least get some approximate matching for now…

Thank you for the explanation!

happy to help :slight_smile: please could you mark the solution for future users?

Thanks
Becca

1 Like