Can't get an experiment online

OS* (e.g. Win10): MacOS Sonoma 14.0
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2023.3.2
Standard Standalone? (y/n) Y

**What are you trying to achieve?:

At the highest level, I’m trying to take an experiment that works great locally run as a .psyexp file. I’ve followed all the tutorials I can find for taking it up to Pavlovia, but in taking steps I’ve seen here to fix prior error messages, I’ve only “fixed” those issues to the point where I get new errors messages. I decided to step back and just run it locally in PsychoJS, but that is also not working.

What did you try to make it work?:
Both sending it up to Pavlovia and running it locally in my browser give me errors.

I’m currently running the experiment out of the ‘eit’ folder on my Desktop (‘/Users/dbatten/Desktop/eit’), but I had the same behavior running it out of a subfolder in Documents.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:

Running it locally in my browser gives the following error:

Creating a project on Pavlovia and sending it up gives this error:

It then seems to just sit on ‘Synchronising’ forever.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Are you signed into your Pavlovia account in PsychoPy?

I would recommend trying to sync from a folder in documents not desktop. I would also recommend deleting any lib folders that might have been created by attempts to test the JS locally before syncing.

Thanks for the reply.

So, I am logged in (just re-entered my password to confirm):

Cleared out prior JS and lib files and relocated back into Documents:

But I get the same error running it locally:

And the same when trying to take it to Pavlovia:

Not sure if this producing the same behavior is at all informative.

Do any files get created in the folder when you try running it locally?

When you click on the middle of the three blue icons, does it show you as being logged in?

Can you access your Pavlovia account via the website?

I am experiencing the same issue with uploading to Pavlovia

I am/was logged in. Clicking the middle blue button brought up my Pavlovia info and name in the little pop up window. I took the chance to log out and log back in. Same issues persist.

Running it locally creates the following selected files. The second screenshot shows the contents of the lib folder.

If I go up to Pavlovia itself, it creates an experiment, but on clicking “view code” it is revealed to be an empty repository.

Delete the lib folder before trying to sync with Pavlovia

Deleted the lib folder, synced with Pavlovia. Same error.

@wakecarter I am afraid there is not much I can do on my end. It appears that the git repository for dwbatten/eit on gitlab.pavlovia.org is empty. So it seems to be a sync issue between Daniel’s PsychoPy and Pavlovia.

Looking at the last error error message shared by @dwbatten , it appears that PsychoPy is trying to sync from /Users rather than /Users/dbatten. Could that be a hint?

Maybe try creating a new project from scratch with just a text component and sync that (don’t test it in a local browser first).

I combined the last tips by @apitiot and @wakecarter in an attempt just now. That is, create a 1 routine, 1 text component experiment and I tried taking it straight to Pavlovia. I did this from /Users/dbatten and from /Users. It appears that these are both good hints.

From /Users/dbatten it gives me the chance the dialogue box for commit info and then freezes on “Synchronising” with the MacOS rainbow wheel forever, locking up PsychoPy until I force quit.

From /Users it does seem to take this new minimal experiment up to Pavlovia (Hooray!) but then gives me 404 error. Entering Pavlovia and switching to “Pilot”, though gets it working.

However, moving the folder containing the experiment I actually want out to /Users, clearing it of everything but the working .psyexp, resources and data folders, and conditions files, and then sending that to Pavlovia gives a different error:

Is my best bet to rebuild it from scratch in /Users and try again? Take it to my office computer and try from there?

Hello

It is still the same error, that git wants to write to /User/.git but does not have permission to do so. See the last line of the error message. So you save the experiment in Users/dbatten/Documents/eit and there is nothing in the experiment pointing to Users?

Would you mind showing the loop where you specify the conditions file?

Best wishes Jens

So I ended up doing just that–re-building it from scratch–and it worked!

It was a simple shadowing task, so it only took 20 or so minutes to build a new one, and, building from /Users allowed me to get it up on Pavlovia and get it running in Pilot mode.

It seems weird as a resolution to the matter, but I appreciate both of your responses, @apitiot and @wakecarter, to help me get to a solution.

Thanks for chiming in. As I noted in my last post, re-building from scratch in /Users got me to a resolution, but I’d appreciate a chance to understand what was causing me problems in the first place.

Here’s the first loop (prloop) and its conditions file. The second loop (exploop) is the same but references different rows from the same file. The conditions file uses relative paths, as shown in the second screen shot.

Audio files referenced in components in other routines are specified with relative paths as well:

There are no code chunks or other references to files or directories.

Hello,

we posted nearly at the same moment in time. I just had an idea but your loops where not the problem.

Best wishes jens