Best practice for consent forms/information sheets in online experiments?

Hey all,

I was wondering whether there is any common practice on how to create consent forms or information sheets for online studies?
As far as I know there is no scrollable text component which one could use for a longer information sheet, so my way of including one would be to use a few routines with a single text component each.
Using a form component and manually checking afterwards that all boxes were ticked as ‘yes’ in order to proceed feels a bit unnatural to me as well.

Does anyone have a good way to deal with information sheets/consent forms?

Thanks!

The online version will scroll down. It’s just a bit confusing because you don’t see a scrollbar on the side, but if you pull your mouse down, the screen will scroll down.

I’ve also done a screenshot of my info sheet as a word doc and then added the info to PsychoPy as an image. It’s a bit more clear with an image that you need to scroll down.

To be honest, I’ve found it easier and cleaner to create the consent form/info sheet in Qualtrics and then send qualtrics to your online PsychoPy page. Under the survey options menu in Qualtrics, there is the option to redirect (survey termination section). You just put your PsychoPy URL there and when they consent (or for me when they finish entering demographic information and click on the arrow) it goes to your PsychoPy task. I’m closing my survey later this week, but if you want to see how it works, here is one of my experiments (https://hwsml.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eQiVgnJpqDhPXq5).

2 Likes

I have a similar approach where participants get a pdf with all the information and the informed consent sheed. At the End, they get the Pavlovia-URL. At the beginning of the experiment, where they provide their name/code etc., I include questions like “did you read the informed consent page?” “Do you agree with it?” and they have to actively type in their answer.