Annoying Coder editor warning messages

Hi,

when editing a file with the Coder, I get annoying warning messages.

Every time I save the file I get the message:

File appears to have been modified outside of PsychoPy:
control.py
OK to overwrite?

From time to time I also get the message:

‘control.py’ was modified outside of PsychoPy:
Reload (without saving)?

This messages are nonsense, because the file was not changed outside
of PsychoPy.

Is there a way to turn off this stupid behavior of the editor?

My system: Ubuntu 18.04, PsychoPy 2020.2.2

Peter

Ah, I thought we’d fixed this… The problem before was that it was finding files in PsychoPy’s path with the same name but in a different folder, noticing their contents were different than the open file and then assuming it was the same file but altered.

We fixed it so that it checks the full path of the file, not just the file name, but it may be that this solution is only working on Windows/Mac. I’ll look into it and hopefully put a fix in place for the next release!

Hey there. Its still there. FYI.

Please could you confirm what version of PsychoPy you are using?

v2022.2.4. in Mac. I gave up on that combination though. Just moved to Windows and the problems I was having are not an issue there.

I am also getting this error in October 2023.

PsychoPy 2023.2.3, standalone installation
MacOS Monterrey 12.4

Please could you paste or screenshot your error message and exactly when it happens?

I’d have happily replied with that, but it appears to have resolved itself when I re-started my computer. Not sure if that provides any relevant clues. I’ll add the following just in case it helps anyone else who comes across this post.

I can say that the error message was…

‘MYFILENAME.py’ was modified outside of PsychoPy:
Reload (without saving)?

It had been happening for several days at every stage of work on the project. I was regularly making changes within PsychoPy, but nothing outside (e.g., conditions files) were changed. The box would pop up while working in builder, while sending to runner, and in the background while testing the experiment. I had been trying to find a pattern but hadn’t noticed one.

Click Yes, No, or Cancel on the dialogue box didn’t seem to change anything in how often it happened.

Ah. I get that too. It’s a feature not a bug. If you have Builder and Coder open then saved version of the python file in the coder window can be modified by running your builder file. Closing the coder window will prevent this question. Yes will update the copy open in coder. No or cancel will keep the older copy open.