psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Achieving true randomisation

I’m currently running an affective priming task in which a food stimuli appears on the screen before being replaced by a positive or negative word. Participants then have to identify whether the word is positive or negative.

To ensure that all healthy and unhealthy food stimuli are presented with both a positive and a negative word I have structured the task like this:

I set the loop to random however the presentation is not random.
For example the presentation will look something like this:

1. Grapes… happy
  2. Grapes… sad
  3. Brownie… happy
  4. Brownie… sad
  5. Strawberries… friendship
  6. Strawberries… loneliness

Is anyone able to advise on how to make this more random?
Primarily, not present the same food one after the other, and secondly not always be a positive word followed by a negative word.

Hi @jemmasedgmond, you could pair those stimuli in your conditions file, and present them all from one routine, with the stimuli changing on each trial using the loop. You could set the loop to random, or fullrandom, depending on what you would like to achieve (see docs). Your conditions file would have the following structure:

food condition valence word
grape healthy positive happy
grape healthy negative sad
brownie unhealthy positive happy

… etc

the food column would present your stimuli in a text component, and the word column would present your valenced word in another text component. These two text components would either be in the same routine, or separate routines, but you would not need separate routines for each condition.

Thanks @dvbridges for the quick response!
That seems far more logical.