Questions on a Cedrus response box

Hi experts,

I am a newbie of psychopy. I have made a simple lexical decision experiment with a builder mode and I want to use a cedrus response box instead of a keyboard. Should I use a coder mode to make the cedrus response box work? The model of the box is RB-540.

Thanks in advance,
Wonil

There is a Cedrus component in Builder. Have you tried that, and if so, what went wrong?

Thanks for your reply, Michael!

I’ve actually used the Builder and tried to run the program. But I got this errors.

########### Running: C:\Experiments\BA\psychopy\pilot_test_cedrus.py ###########
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Experiments\BA\psychopy\pilot_test_cedrus.py”, line 14, in
from psychopy import locale_setup, gui, visual, core, data, event, logging, sound, hardware
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.84.2-py2.7.egg\psychopy\sound.py”, line 76, in
logging.warning(msg % (thisLibName, sys.exc_info()[1]))
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0xc1 in position 17: ordinal not in range(128)

I don’t think these errors are related to using a response box. Do you have any idea why I got these errors?
I am using psychopy 1.84.2 standalone version on Windows.

Thanks,

This probably refers to the coding of the given value of the button - are you using non-ASCII characters?

Yes, I have to use Korean characters. Do you have any idea to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Not sure - depends where the characters are. Psychopy (and indeed Python) have good handling of characters because they use UTF8. If you are importing conditions from an XLSX file, try changing it to a .csv file.

Thanks for your reply. I have actually deleted all non-English characters but still have the same error.
Hmm…Is there anyone who has any idea why it is happening?

Thanks,

Not without more information about the experiment. The error only refers to a failure to decode a unicode character, so there’s no way to tell from the information you have given. Try giving a brief description of what you are trying to achieve and provide screenshots of any code components you have used, conditions files etc.
BW

Oli

Also see if this helps:

Thanks for your replies. The problems are getting worse. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with fonts or characters.
I actually made a very tiny simple program (please see the attached builder view screen) with a builder mode and still had the same problem. Please see the attached files. I made the same program with other computer, but it worked really well. Of course same version of psychopy was used. Hmm…

Thanks,

Try reinstalling psychopy - if it’s working on other computers then something may have gone wrong with the build.

Pasting text into text component properties changes language Also check through this thread

Hello,

It seema that the error started in locale_setup step. long before communicate with Cedrus response device using xid.

Would you check the locale is still ascii, or whether some Korean characters (i.e.unused variable name) are in the compiled source?

By thr way, you can also use Cedrus hardware in Coder using pyxid.

BRnC is local reseller and technical supporter of Cedrus products in South Korea. If you have more questions about Cedrus hardwares, BRnC will try to help you:)

1 Like

Hi,

It will be great if you can give me contact information of BRnC.

Thanks!!

hello everyone to disorry one, i’m sorry to disturb, my name is Carolina and i’m using PsychoPy for the first time in my thesis. I’m using it to build a stroop task with several trials. Although i have followed the tutorial on Youtube i keep getting the same error message:

########## Running: C:\Users\anune\Desktop\Strooptask.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\anune\Desktop\Strooptask.py”, line 14, in
from psychopy import locale_setup, gui, visual, core, data, event, logging, sound
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.84.2-py2.7.egg\psychopy\sound.py”, line 76, in
logging.warning(msg % (thisLibName, sys.exc_info()[1]))
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0xed in position 23: ordinal not in range(128)

If you could help me with is would be most grateful
Thank you so much!
Carolina