Window freezes when running on secondary monitor

Dear PsychoPy Community,

Recently, we encountered the issue where a window couldn’t be successfully opened on a non-primary monitor. Your suggested solution (Window freezes when running with multiple screens), which involved setting the external monitor as the primary monitor and changing the screen, did work. However, this isn’t the ideal solution for us. Our preference is to utilize a non-primary monitor for the experiment. Currently, we’re facing this problem specifically in Windows 11, whereas it wasn’t an issue in Windows 10.

Are you aware of any existing issues in Windows 11 that could cause this? Any guidance or potential solutions you could provide would be immensely appreciated. If there’s no immediate solution, our only recourse might be to revert our computer back to Windows 10. This issue is impacting both PsychoPy and Psychtoolbox.

The same issue came up here recently for psychtoolbox: Screen('OpenWindow',2) and PsychImaging('OpenWindow',2) freezes Matlab - Bugs & Features - Psychtoolbox

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Best regards,
Till

Hi Till,

Please could you tell us what version of PsychoPy you are using? does this issue occur when you run an experiment from builder and select the second monitor as the monitor to display the experiment in?

Thanks,
Becca

Hi Becca,
thanks for your reply.
I am using psychopy 2023.2.3.
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you whether the screen would work using builder. We already changed reinstalled Win 10. I tried to reproduce this with another Win 11 laptop and the same python environment and surprisingly, it worked… In case it happens again, I will keep you up to date