What is the highest frame rate that can be used for video stimuli in psychopy, any idea on video playback?

OS (ASUS Win10):
PsychoPy version (2024.1.5):
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?:

What are you trying to achieve?:
I am trying to run an experiment that involves humans watching randomised video stimuli and answering questions using a slider.

However, the videos that I have created of the motion of a ball are not playing properly. At certain frame rates the video appears to be choppy, slow or too fast to be observed by the human eye.

What did you try to make it work?:
I have tried to play the videos at different frame rates but I am not getting a smooth motion. My main question is what is the highest frame rate that videos can be played in psychopy? and what different video playbacks can I use to create my videos so that they can be supported by psychopy to be played accurately?

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
videos appear, choppy, delayed at the start or too fast.

Sorry I can’t help but I have exactly the same issue and even an echo of the sound after the video has finished. It appears to be a longstanding issue looking at the forum that psychopy cannot handle video stimuli well. I have tried everything I can think of for my tiny videos (which are between 2 and 3 seconds long):

• splitting the audio and video
  • pre loading the videos
  • having a blank bit of video after the video (to stop the echo)
  • having a blank bit of video at the end of the video file (again, to stop the echo)

Nothing works so looks like I will have to go to another software which is very frustrating!

Hey Kim @KimS , its unfortunate that psychopy has not been able to solve this problem yet.
I was wondering if you have tried Gorilla for video playback ?

I was thinking of moving to that software and was wondering if you have tried it, if so do the videos work better on that platform.

I actually just tried one last thing and it seems to have worked. I had the separate audio and video files and set the video file to no audio (even though there was no audio in it) and that seems to have worked. A real faff and something hopefully they will work on in the future as it shouldn’t be this hard to play a short video!

I’m afraid I’ve not tried Gorilla so can’t comment.