Send trigger markers to BNC CED Spike2 box using usb output

OS (e.g. Win10): Win 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Yes

Right now we are using an old computer with Psychopy 1, to send trigger to BNC input (Spike 2) using the parallel port and home-made parallel-BNC cable.

Since we are changing computers, and will no longer have access to a parallel port, is there a way to send triggers to BNC via a USB port, or should I try to first use a usb-parallel adapter and use my same cable ? In that case, what hardware would you recommend ?

Thanks !

We have a BNC version of our c-pod product coming out soon. It delivers USB to TTL and does so asynchronously. The software support for it though would require a recent version of PsychoPy. Contact me if you want more information.

A USB-parallel adapter would work and is cheaper for sure. However, the latency tends to be big (and it will never be async). We tested a USB-serial port adapter once and its latency was in the order of 35ms. The large latency is due to the USB driver rather than hardware. At the time, we ended up buying a PCI card for the serial port interface (on a desktop computer) rather than use a USB-serial port adapter.

The USB2TTL8 would also be an option. You might be able to use your existing DB25 → BNC wiring with it as well.