Self Paced Reading Task with questions

@dvbridges hey again sorry to bother you but in the attached file for some of the sentences no RTs are calculated. When I made the last changes in End Routine, as you told, it works for the practice trail perfectly but not for the actual study. No response times are calculated there again in the excel file. Which one is more reliable do you think?NO CHANGE IN END ROUTINE.csv (18.7 KB)
sprt.psyexp (30.7 KB)

This is the file with change as you said…
_sprt_2018_Mar_26_2145.xlsx (12.8 KB)
_sprt_2018_Mar_26_2145.csv (22.1 KB)
sprt.psyexp (31.0 KB)

The second one is much easier for me but it doesn’t calculate RTs for the actual study. Why not?

thx again…

@dvbridges actually in csv files there is always a missing data because of the sentences, so I need RTs to be written in an excel file but it doesn’t work for the study trail although it works for the practice… How can I fix it?

Hi @dilsah_kalay, sorry I am not sure if there is a problem. Attached is a csv output from the experiment you posted, without the changes that catch error because it is not actually needed. There are rows for the practice sentence, and two rows for the test sentences (because I deleted all other rows to speed it up). The columns will need to be re-organised because other response data is inserted between word RT columns, but that is ok because the data is not affected. The test sentences in my attached example are 11 and 12 words long. The first test sentence is 11 words long, so we see RTs for words 0 to 10 (making 11 RTs). The second test sentence is 12 words long, so we see RTs for words 0 to 11 (making 12 RTs). However, the first test sentence will have missing data for “word_11” (which is actually word 12 as the first word starts at zero), because the sentence is only 11 words long.

I would ignore the excel workbook, and use the RTs in the csv file (which already holds the data from the Excel workbook).

_sprt_2018_Mar_26_2118.csv (3.3 KB)

@dvbridges yeah I see what you mean but in some of the other test sentences with 18-19 word length, some problems occur in csv output. No information is written if you see the csv output data that i sent, so i think i should use excel output format not to skip any data…

@dvbridges I mean the problem is in csv file some of the infirmation is missing, especially the ones for longer sentences - I have 10 sentence information missing in the NO CHANGE file I sent -, all those rows are seen empty, isn’t it? I tried the experiment many times and same problem occurs for the same sentences.

Ah yes I see. The NO CHANGE spreadsheet is missing trials that have a semi-colon in the text. Semi-colon in Python would be used to separate statements, so this could be causing problems in how the information is being used in the trials. It may be better to remove the semi-colons from your statements.

However, I think everything is fine in the second csv output that you have posted called “_sprt_2018_Mar_26_2145.csv” as I do not see any missing data for any of the study trials, other than that which should be missing - e.g., sentences with only 8 words will not have RTs for words > “word_7”. The csv file may not have overall response times per sentence, but you can always calculate this with the AVERAGE function in Excel. Just save the csv as an excel workbook, move some columns around and use the AVERAGE function to calculate average RTs, as in the attached.

_sprt_2018_Mar_26_2145.xlsx (26.2 KB)

1 Like

@dvbridges yeah i got your point when i deleted the semi-colons everything went perfectly. Thanks a lot again, for all the help you provided, i deeply appreciate your help. thx :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I’m also trying to create a SPR experiment just like this and your solutions helped me a lot.

However, I need my sentences to appear phrase by phrase, not word by word. would you be able to help please?

Amend David’s original suggestion:

word_list = Sentence.split(',') 

by providing a delimiter to the .split() function. It defaults to using spaces as delimiters, but you can provide some other character (e.g. a comma) that you use to separate phrases rather than words.

1 Like

Thank you very much indeed.

@dvbridges hey again, i am working on the response times of this task but I have a problem with analyzing response times.

what do the numbers like 789.378.510.267 mean??

are they miliseconds or seconds? I cannot understand…

Thanks in advance…

If these are .csv files, try viewing them in a simple text editor rather than Excel. I suspect this is an internationalisation issue in Excel, with it struggling to deal with commas or dots as separators. i.e. this may reflect formatting/transformation by Excel rather than what raw data is written in the file.

1 Like

I am trying to design a spr experiment and this thread has been tremendous help. Using the file @dvbridges has provided I could present my stimuli properly. I need to repeat this flow 4 times (I have 4 sessions with 4 pseudorandom lists) with 3 breaks in between. However, it seems that the experiment ends after the first loop. How can I fix this problem?

1 Like