psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Randomize trial order without repeating stimuli twice in a row

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

PsychoPy version : 3.0.5
Standard Standalone? (y/n) : yes

I am running a study where 4 stimuli are presented a number of times per block. Specifically, I have a .csv file with 24 rows, and there are 4 stimuli in one of the columns of the .csv file with each stimulus repeating 6 times. For each block, I need the rows to be randomly selected. However, I also need to make sure each stimulus is never repeated. As an example, the 4 stimuli are: lavender, lilac, lemon, pear. Each should be presented 6 times per block, and in a random order without any stimuli presented twice. For instance, if they see a lemon, the next stimulus must be random, but it cannot be a lemon again. I cannot figure out a code component I could put at the beginning of each block that would achieve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes

This kind of custom randomisation constraint can’t be implemented within Builder’s available options using a conditions file. What you need to do is insert a code component and use custom code to generate a new randomised conditions file (or list of conditions in memory) on each run.

A possible algorithm would be:

• create a reference list ['lavender', 'lilac', 'lemon', 'pear']
  • copy it.
  • shuffle that copy. This is now the first 4 conditions, in order.
  • copy the reference list again.
  • extract the item from it that is the same as the last item of the first list.
  • randomly sample one of the three remaining items and append it to the first list.
  • put the extracted item back in the second list.
  • shuffle the second list.
  • extend the first list with the second list (which now contains 3 items). The result is now the first 8 conditions in order.
  • repeat the previous 6 steps 4 times.
0 Likes