Python crashing with sound-heavy experiment

Hello,

I am running the win32 version of 1.84.2 on Windows 7. My problem seems similar to sound problems other users have encountered, in that python is crashing as soon as I start to run the experiment and without generating an error message. However, this problem doesn’t occur for every experiment including sound. I made a toy experiment containing just one of my sound files (about a minute-long .wav) and the experiment ran without a problem.

My full experiment contains 132 .wav files of various lengths, which add up to about 20 minutes total audio. The experiment was built on a Windows 10 laptop with a Realtek High Definition Audio sound card, on which it runs perfectly. Now trying to run on Windows 7 desktops (HP Elitedesk 800 G2, with same(?) Realtek High Definition Audio), python is crashing. I will copy the full log file below.

To add even more uncertainty to the problem, there have been a few occasions where the experiment has run without problems on the desired desktop computers, but this seems to be happening randomly/sporadically. Does this seem like a hardware/soundcard issue? I tried upgrading to 1.85 to see if that might change the sound problems, but I got a different error (which I can provide if it would be helpful). If I’m running 1.85, should my top choice of audio library still be ‘pyo’? Might I have luck with pygame?

Many thanks!

Full log:

7.9963 EXP Created window1 = Window(allowGUI=True, allowStencil=False, autoLog=True, bitsMode=UNKNOWN, blendMode=‘avg’, color=array([ 0., 0., 0.]), colorSpace=‘rgb’, fullscr=UNKNOWN, gamma=None, lms=UNKNOWN, monitor=<psychopy.monitors.calibTools.Monitor object at 0x089A93F0>, name=‘window1’, pos=[0, 0], screen=0, size=array([2560, 1440]), stereo=False, units=u’norm’, useFBO=True, useRetina=False, viewOri=0.0, viewPos=None, viewScale=None, waitBlanking=True, winType=‘pyglet’)
7.9964 EXP window1: recordFrameIntervals = False
8.1615 EXP window1: recordFrameIntervals = True
8.3450 EXP window1: recordFrameIntervals = False
8.5243 EXP Created Group_text = TextStim(alignHoriz=‘center’, alignVert=‘center’, antialias=True, autoLog=True, bold=False, color=‘white’, colorSpace=‘named’, contrast=1.0, depth=0.0, flipHoriz=False, flipVert=False, font=‘Arial’, fontFiles=[], height=0.3, italic=False, name=‘Group_text’, opacity=1.0, ori=0, pos=array([ 0., 0.]), rgb=array([ 255., 255., 255.]), text=u’Group?’, units=u’norm’, win=Window(…), wrapWidth=1)
8.5433 EXP Created List_text = TextStim(alignHoriz=‘center’, alignVert=‘center’, antialias=True, autoLog=True, bold=False, color=‘white’, colorSpace=‘named’, contrast=1.0, depth=0.0, flipHoriz=False, flipVert=False, font=‘Arial’, fontFiles=[], height=0.3, italic=False, name=‘List_text’, opacity=1.0, ori=0, pos=array([ 0., 0.]), rgb=array([ 255., 255., 255.]), text=u’List?’, units=u’norm’, win=Window(…), wrapWidth=1)
8.6262 EXP Created SetVolumeText = TextStim(alignHoriz=‘center’, alignVert=‘center’, antialias=True, autoLog=True, bold=False, color=‘white’, colorSpace=‘named’, contrast=1.0, depth=0.0, flipHoriz=False, flipVert=False, font=‘Arial’, fontFiles=[], height=0.1, italic=False, name=‘SetVolumeText’, opacity=1.0, ori=0, pos=array([ 0., 0.]), rgb=array([ 255., 255., 255.]), text=unicode(…), units=u’norm’, win=Window(…), wrapWidth=1.5)
8.6621 WARNING psychopy.sound.initPyo could not find microphone hardware; recording not available
9.3026 EXP Set sound=C

1 Like

Try reading through these threads:

If you’re running 1.85 then I’d like to know if the sound library 'sounddevice' works any better for you.
I think this lib is the way forwards but it’s also new. Basically it might not work quite right yet, but I’m keen to fix any parts of it that aren’t working (and better placed to fix this than pyo problems)

1 Like