Pylink not importing in standalone but is in terminal

Hi everyone – I’m having a peculiar problem in trying to get Psychopy v2021.2.3 to work with the Eyelink 1000. For reference, my system is:

• Intel iMac running High Sierra (10.13.6).
  • Installed Python 3.6 (on top of Mac OS’ default 2.7.16)
  • Psychopy v2021.2.3

The eye-tracker is properly connected and works through Experiment Builder at the same IP as inputted into Psychopy. I followed the SR Research instructions and installed pylink for Python 3.6 via the terminal. When I run python3 and then import pylink, there are no problems. But when I go into the Psychopy coder and run import pylink, I get the following error:

" import pylink
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “./init.py”, line 57, in
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/pylink/pylink_c.cpython-36m-darwin.so, 2): Symbol not found: _objc_alloc_init
Referenced from: /Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/pylink/pylink_c.cpython-36m-darwin.so
Expected in: flat namespace
in /Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/pylink/pylink_c.cpython-36m-darwin.so"

I’ve checked previous posts (I found two) and one of them mentioned a wrong version of pylink being installed (mine is for 3.6) and another mentioned pylink files missing inside the Psychopy contents folder, but all of these are in there.

Any help is really appreciated.

There is something wrong with the pylink included with the 2021.2.x standalone for macOS. No sure what went wrong, but we will figure it out for the next standalone release.

Officially, just need to wait until next standalone installer is out (early 2022).

Unoffically (try at own risk), I was able to install the latest pylink to my own Python env using:

pip install --index-url=https://pypi.sr-support.com sr-research-pylink

and then copy the pylink folder from my python site-packages to the PsychoPy app bundle contents, replacing the pylink folder in /Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6 .

That seemed to fix the issue for me.

1 Like

Thanks so much @sol. I’ll give it a go first thing Monday and let you know if it works!