Program freezing after playing a mov or avi file

Hi,
i’m trying to put a video in a corner of the screen in each trial, but the whole experiment freezes when reaching the routine with the movie, regardless of its format (avi, mov). I have tried out all options in the builder, but the problem persists. Same happens if i create a simple test script with two short routines, one for playing the movie and one for ending the experiment (attached below); the flow never reaches the second routine. There is no specific error message once i manage to shut down the experimental screen. I’m using Psychopy 1.84.2 on a Mac OS X 10.10.5, but the same problem occurred with an older version of Psychopy as well. I’ve checked other topics, but it doesn’t seem to be a general problem.
Thank you in advance!
test.psyexp (4.6 KB)

Do the movie demos work for you? (i.e. switch to the Coder view and try running the movie demos from the Demos > Stimuli menu).

Yes, all of the demos seem to work fine, except for the froward and backward commands in the MovieStim2.py.

And by “tried out all options in the builder,”, you mean you tried the other backends (e.g. moviepy)?

Not sure we mean the same thing, but from the builder view i could not choose MovieStim2 or 3 (it may be that it is due to the Mac version of the program?). Now i tried to change that in the coder view, and with the MovieStim3 it seems to work just fine.
But if i only save the .py format, the changes are not automatically saved in the .psyexp format of the same experiment, and i’m not sure how to transform the .py file back int the .psyexp. I guess I could just always run from in the coder view, but there will be various people using the exp and the builder view would be more than welcome to easily change the lists etc.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :).

No, you can’t go back to .psyexp after editing the .py file, it’s a one-way-street (i.e. you can write completely arbitrary code, of any sort, and in any order in a .py file, so there is no way that a computer can translate that back into a graphical representation of an experiment).

I’m using 1.84.2 on OS X 10.12. In the movie component, you’ll see options for different backends. Switching from one to another changes the version of the MovieStim class that is used (i.e. you don’t need to edit the .py file yourself, Builder makes the change for you, depending on the setting you choose):

avbin = MovieStim
opencv = MovieStim2
moviepy = MovieStim3

Thank you for all the info, i missed the relation between the backends and the movie player classes before!