Problems piloting study on pavlovia

Hello, I am in my final year in my undergraduate degree and I am having issues with piloting my study online. Every time I try to pilot it via Pavlovia I get the error message: Unfortunately we encountered the following error:

  • when downloading the resources for experiment: finalproject2.0
  • unable to download resource: images/030b.png (FILE_LOAD_ERROR)

Try to run the experiment again. If the error persists, contact the experiment designer.

I am very new to this and I am unsure where I am going wrong, I’ve to redownload the image onto my laptop, edit the size and open it on incognito window and I still get the same message. Any help would be extremely appreciated. I’ve pasted the URL below, thanks!
URL of experiment:

Hello vs265,
Have you made the html/resources folder and added all the files into it?

With the latest versions you should add resources via Experiment Settings / Online instead.

Hello, thank you for your reply.
I am unsure how to do this. Do you mean through psychopy or pavlovia. Sorry if that is a silly question I am just really new to all of this!

Experiment Settings / Online is in PsychoPy Builder

1 Like


1 Like

Thank you so much! I have just found it… However I am now unsure on what I need to fill out on that tab. I added all my stimuli in the folder to the additional resources box and pressed ok. Nothing happened and no html file was created, I am unsure if I need to fill out the other tabs and what to include in them.
I am really sorry if this is a really stupid question I have gone through the PsychoPy pages on putting my study online but I am still confused.
I am very sorry, thank you for all your help once again

Hello vs265,

you only need to add your stimuli (*.png) via the plus-button, then ok it. Next you need to sync the project again. That should do it. BTW, the link provided does not give access to your project.

So it is difficult to check if there is something else wrong. :wink:

Best wishes Jens

1 Like

Hello JensBoelte,
Thank you for your response again, I added all the stimuli in png via the plus button then pressed ok and pressed synch again but it’s still coming up with the same error message.

Sorry about the link not working- since then I made a new version of it on my own because I was working on it with my lab mate and she has the copy and I was getting confused so cloned it on my laptop and made a new pavlovia project for it.
This is the ULR for it, I’ve made it public but I am unsure whether there is anything else I need to do for you to be able access:

Thank you so so so much again for your help I am just struggling lots :sweat_smile:
Victoria :slight_smile:

Forgot to include a picture of what I did on PsychoPy in case I did it incorrectly!

Hello vs265,

well, when syncing with your project I noticed that

  1. the directory where you store your images is called images. However, in some cases in your condition files you refer to this directory with Images (capital I). So, change all references Images to images (with a lower case i).

  2. In addition, sometimes a filename is followed by a blank. I don’t know if this will be problem as well. I replaced all blanks before detecting the error in the directory name. When changing Images to images, replace all blanks as well.

If you do this, you don’t need to add your images via Additional Resources. Your images will be properly uploaded to Pavlovia. The reason why Pavolvia did not find your file was simply a spelling error. PsychoPy is much more flexible with regard to spelling errors than Pavolvia. Therefore you notice such spelling errors often not before running the experiment online.

Best wishes Jens


ITS WORKING!! Thank you so so so so so much, I’ve been working on this all day and I can’t believe it was such a simple error. Thank you so so much once again, I’ve been so stressed about it and you’ve helped me so much!! I hope you’ve had a lovely evening!
Thank you again! :smiley: