Problem with form component formating

OS (e.g. Win10): macOS 10.13.6
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): Latest
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?:
What are you trying to achieve?:
I am trying to use the new form component (beta mode) in builder to make a demographics survey at the end of my reaction time task. I have gotten the questions to show up and have been able to play around with the formatting, but I can’t get the response choices to go where I want them to. Right now, no matter what I choose for the position, they all sit right on top of one another. Is there any way to fix this? I will attach a picture as well.

What did you try to make it work?:

I have tried playing with the size, position, text height, and item padding and everything seems to affect the questions, but not the response options. I have also tried inputting custom dimensions in the xlsx file that sources the questions and responses.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

When I play with those parameters, other things on the screen change, but the response options stay where they are.

I am still in pilot mode, so I don’t have a link, but if someone is willing to help, I can temporarily add you to the study.

If the question width and the response width (which are both set via the Excel file) add up to more than 1, they’ll stack like that rather than overlap. If you reduce either width they should lay out side by side.

Hi,

Thank you for your response! I don’t have them set to more than 1. It seems like the response options I have are too long to fit in a 0.3/0.7 ratio (what I have now). Do you know if there is any way around this, or if I will just have to change my options?

Thanks!

@wakecarter I’ve read a lot of your threads about how to make demographics surveys and looked at your code. Ideally, I would like to use your demo code as part of my experiment with different questions and options, but I’m not sure how to do this. Would you be able to help me in any way?

Are you trying to run this locally or online?

I’ve been creating it in builder, but the goal is to run it online.

My demographics demo only works only, because it creates an iFrame in the PsychoPy Browser window and embeds an html file.

My formtohtml web app. is designed to help create that html file using a csv file that works with the form component locally. However, since I don’t run experiments locally at the moment, I’ve extended the functionality a bit, and skipped other aspects.

Hi There,

linking this related post on form formatting online here in case it’s relevant Form displays differently online than locally - #3 by Dan_Conway

1 Like

My plan is to run it online-- if I can figure out how to make the changes I need in Pavlovia instead of Builder, that works too. Would it work to copy/paste your code into my .psyexp file on pavlovia? I don’t really know anything about code, so any advice helps. Thanks so much for your responses so far!

Thank you!

You need to make changes in Builder. For example, you could have an offline form routine which has continueRoutine = false; in a JS code component and an online form routine which has continueRoutine = False in a Python code component.

I’ve just edited my demographics demo to do this – however, the offline form is pretty ugly because I’m not that familiar with it, and I haven’t added anything to retrieve the data from the offline form and add it to the same expInfo columns.

Thank you so much for your help! I will try working with that!