psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Playing small videos takes 10 sec to load

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2021.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: y
What are you trying to achieve?: Play a video, then collect keyboard response

What did you try to make it work?:
My videos are quite small (1-2 sec long; under 10 mb, most 4-5 mb). However, on each trial of the loop, it takes 10-11 sec before the video plays. There is nothing else going on in the experiment besides playing the video and collecting a single key press response at the end of each video.

I read a number of other related threads. Some suggestions provided include (which don’t work for me):

• Set movie object to “constant” and include the list of videos in the code - but I have many different lists, all containing different sets of videos, so this does not scale well.
  • Insert an intentional ISI before each trial which lasts as long as the loading takes - but the loading is so long, it is far longer than any plausible ISI that I want. (I can only include two links, so here it is in plain text: https://discourse.psychopy.org/t/loading-times-for-routines-with-videos-are-slow/23789/2)

This suggestion about running the experiment in the resolution of the videos (which is 720 x 576) rather than the monitor’s resolution (which is 1920 x 1080) seemed promising, but I couldn’t figure out how to change that in the experiment.

So, any suggestions on how to reduce the huge loading lag for these relatively small videos (or how to change the resolution of the experiment so it matches that of the videos, if people think that might work), is much appreciated!