psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Play sound at key press without ending trial

sound

Hi all,

I’m trying to play a sound at key press. The trial consists of displaying an image for 15s. I’m trying to get an audio file (screenshot sound effect) to play after a key press response (spacebar), and the response can happen anytime during this 15 seconds. But I also do not want to end trial until the 15 seconds of viewing the image is over. For example, if I were to hit the spacebar and trigger the screenshot sound effect in the middle of the 15 seconds, I still want the remaining image display time to continue.

I’m still very new to PsychoPy, and I’m not sure if I can do this just using builder, but am unaware of any code I could insert either.

If anyone can please provide some assistance, that would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Alice

Hi Alice,

Please find attached a minimal working example using text components. The routine presents one piece of text for 15 s. While it does so, it uses a code component to check for key presses on every frame. If it detects a key press, it uses the time of the key press as onset time for another piece of text which is then presented for 1 s. A limitation is that only one key press per trial is accepted, that is, in your experiment participants would hear the sound only once per trial (based on your description, I wasn’t entirely sure if this is what you wanted).

Jan

present_text_on_button_press.psyexp (8.3 KB)