Install/Run PsychoPy with no internet

I’m installing PsychoPy using the standalone download for macOS. I am installing this on a machine that is not allowed to access the internet (due to security controls). It’s up to date with macOS 12 but does not support macOS 13 which is why it’s not allowed to connect to the internet.

This is only a temporary machine while we wait for a new one to arrive. I want to run an experiment but I see according to this knowledge base - How do I run experiments written with older versions of PsychoPy®? — PsychoPy v2023.1.2 - that PsychoPy needs to communicate over the internet the first time you try to run something.

Is there any way around this? Can I manually update the files it might be looking for, or include a line in the .py code for the experiment to tell it not to try to connect? Thanks!

PsychoPy only needs to connect to the internet the first time you try to run an experiment if it’s set to run in an older version than is installed - the reason being that PsychoPy needs to connect to the internet to get that version. If you’re running in the same version as you have installed, it can run local experiments without issue. The best option is most likely to simply install the version of PsychoPy which your experiment is running in, and then set useVersion in the Experiment Settings to be blank.

1 Like

Thank you! I had done everything else you suggested, but setting useVersion in the Experiment Settings to be blank was the step I was missing.

1 Like