How to use textbox type in survey form component?

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Win 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 3.1.2 for 64bit Windows
Standard Standalone? (y/n) yes
What are you trying to achieve?:

Hey I am a BA-student doing my thesis & I want to build the following things:

First | I want to build just one Item to which the participant can respond to with text-input (write the answer & make correction if necessary)

Second | I want to build a questionnaire containing 3-4 Items with a text-input as response

What did you try to make it work?:

I used a temple for a textinput which I found on GitHub

It worked for me while using Python 3.7 (on Win10) and not the latest version(3.1.2) of psychopy but the one before. That’s the setting I had on my private Laptop.
At the place I have to run the experiment I use the setting mentioned at the beginning.
With the workplace setting it didn’t run. There was an error about the variable ‘n’ in the every frame section.

Error | the object keypress has no len()

I couldn’t figure out what to do because I am not really into python so I tried the survey form component.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

So what’s following was done by using the psychopy version 3.1.2 & python 3.6

First, I tried to build the single Item following the description in the online-documentation. I got this error about the .csv I created

NameError: Use the following fields/column names for Forms…
[‘index’, ‘responseWidth’, ‘layout’, ‘questionText’, ‘type’, ‘questionWidth’, ‘options’]

I tried the type ‘rating’ as well

Same Error | NameError: Use the following fields/column names for Forms…
[‘index’, ‘responseWidth’, ‘layout’, ‘questionText’, ‘type’, ‘questionWidth’, ‘options’]

I added the column ‘index’ and set it on ‘1’ and the question + scale was displayed
I changed the type to textbox because that’s what I need an I got the following failure

items_III.csv (109 Bytes)

Error | TypeError: object of type ‘NoneType’ has no len()

I couldn’t figure out what to do so far and I would really appriciate it if someone could help me.

There is one question left | Do i have to ad something else then the form component to make the textbox appear or is it included in the form component?

textinput_I.psyexp (3.6 KB)

Kind regards
Tobias

Hi @to_be, to get the new Form component to run, you have to only use columns names of [‘index’, ‘responseWidth’, ‘layout’, ‘questionText’, ‘type’, ‘questionWidth’, ‘options’]. Have a look at the demo to have a working example. Unfortunately though, text box is not yet working for Form, we are awaiting the development of a new text box component.

An alternative, is to use typed text that appears on screen using a text component. There is a demo available on Pavlovia that works locally (Python) and in a browser (JavaScript). Clone this repo to get your own working copy.

URL to task: https://pavlovia.org/run/demos/textinput/html/
URL to repo: https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/demos/textinput/

hi @dvbridges,

thanks for your quick response!!!
It was quite helpful and I could solve the problem, thanks!!

kind regards
t.