How to put a Break within one Routine

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Yes
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2022.1.2
Standard Standalone? (y/n) Yes If not then what?:
What are you trying to achieve?:
My experiment goes as follows: the participants get to see either one picture standing for itself with the request to remember it beneath it or two pictures side by side with a Yes/No Question. In total it’s 16 solo pictures and 16 paired ones. Those two types of pictures are alternating throughout. This would be one trial. After this I would like them to be presented once more, but with the position of one of the two pictures reversed, a new picture and new question so that my participants can’t just remember the question from the first run.

Between the two trials I would like to add a break, which the participants can end when they are ready to start the second run. How could I implement that without opening a new routine?

What did you try to make it work?: Not quite sure if I need coding here? I can just continue my excel sheet with the new compositions of pictures reversed but how do I implement the break which can be ended via keypress?

ZweiterDurchgang.xlsx (9.9 KB)

ZeigeBild2

ZeigeBild

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

ZeigeBild3
Thats how my loops looks like. One routine is for the solely picture and the other one for the paired pictures.

Hello Joshua,

why don’t you want to add a routine for the break? I think it is the simplest way to implement the break. Add the break-routine just after your loop. Add a new loop reusing your routines, EinzelBild, DoppelBild with a new Excel-file containing the new composition of stimuli. Alternatively, you could have everything in one Excel-file and use the argument Selected rows to read only parts of the Excel-file.

Best wishes Jens

Thank you for your response, I found the solution in another thread, it worked perfectly fine :slight_smile:

Hello, Do you mind sharing the thread? I am looking for the same methods. Inserting more routines would just make my experiment layout way too long so breaks within a loop would help.