Help! Block Design with Randomisation within 'effort' conditions tailored to the participants' reading level

Hi all! This is my first post (please be nice, haha). I am seriously struggling and really need someone’s help. I’ve read a lot of threads now and replies that have helped quite a bit (did most before I created an account), but I haven’t seen anyone with my specific problem, and those solutions haven’t worked for me :frowning: (or had, when I had a different problem, haha, thanks)

OS Win10
PsychoPy version v2023.2.2
I am writing in Python code as I do not plan to use it online (instead locally).

What are you trying to achieve?:
Participants had to read the extract correctly to obtain ‘coins’ in my task. It involves two stages, the practice and the game. Both involve seeing a shape (indicating the difficulty level of the extract) and then reading the passage (the experimenter presses ‘r’ to indicate it was read correctly or ‘t’ for incorrect). If they answer correctly, they get the associated coin. Now, the extracts are supposed to be tailored to the individual’s ability (based on Oxford level), so the blevel ties to the extracts and the difficulty levels they are given (olevel). For the practice part, I would like 4 trials each for my 6 difficulty levels (training the person basically). During the ‘game’ part, I want participants to make a subset of choices (e.g., read this difficult level = for this reward), then I go through 4 of these choices separately with each passage associated with these choices and get the feedback. Kinda like mini blocks (10 choice routine trials being done one after the other, followed by 1 passage and 1 feedback…until they finish all 10 of their decisions…then it restarts again until all of my ‘orders’ are finished).

The Problem:

• Practice: I have a consecutive loop because I wanted 4 trails for each 6 difficulty levels. But, the same extract is repeating itself, too. I believe it is using my passage Excel consecutively, going through each one. I do not want this. Each of the extracts has an Oxford level associated with them. Thus, I want to randomise within this difficulty. Yet, all of the advice given here doesn’t apply to mine because of the assigning the difficulty levels and passages based on their level.

• The Game: I would also appreciate any help, including multiple choice trials, then the passage (of one of those chosen) and the feedback associated with it (one after the other).

What did you try to make it work?
I have tried for about a week, many, many different things. Off the top of my head, I tried several randomising codes within the builder, created different Excel files, and tried more or less /different loops … Currently, I have changed it back to how I had to before (since at least it worked then) and inserted two additional loops inside the other loop to try and randomise the passages while keeping within my code.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Please let me know if you need more info, files, etc.

By the way, sorry for any spelling or comprehension mistakes; I have several disabilities, so please let me know if you don’t understand. :slight_smile:

Passages.xlsx (15.1 KB)
chooseBlocks.xlsx (12.3 KB)
Order.xlsx (12.3 KB)
Effort.py (187.0 KB)

Hi @Hans,

Could you please also share your .psyexp file?

Thanks so much,

Kim

1 Like

Hi. Yes, sorry about that. Sharing now. Thanks :slight_smile:
Effort.psyexp (228.6 KB)