Feedback (mean Rt)

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Mac
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 1.84.1

What are you trying to achieve?:
I’m trying to give a mean Rt of the four conditions in the experiment. 1 block has 32 trials. 8 trials per condition. I want psychopy to calculate the mean of each condition (8trials) and present the participant mean Rts to them at the end.

What did you try to make it work?:
I have this at the begining of my experiment:
#msg variable just needs some value at start
msg=’’

This at the beginning of my routine:
if Condition:#1
msg=“RT=%.3f” %(resp.rt + 2)
else:
msg=“RT=%.3f” %(resp.rt)

I also tried the
if resp.corr Condition: #1
msg=“RT=%.3f” %(resp.rt + 2)

**What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: Nothing worked. I’m just not sure how to do this anymore.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best way to do this, but spontaneously I would tend to create a dictionary, use the condition names as keys, and append the RT after every trial.

conditionDict[conditionName].append(resp.rt)

This of course assumes that your condition name is part of the trial, e.g., is coded in an input file you use.

After a block, you could then use the dictionary to calculate the mean RT per condition and present the means as feedback.

Hope this is sufficient as a starting point.

Jan

I used this code in the begining of the experiment code and I’m assuming it appended the RTs after the trials. How would I then use it to calculate mean RTs for the condition?
Do I put this as present msg in the experiment on the next routine?

Thank you for your help! It really helped.

Hi,

To get the condition means into a dictionary, you could do the following:

import numpy as np
meansDict = {}  # create an empty dictionary for the means

for cond in conditionDict:  # loop over the keys in the dictionary
   meansDict[cond] = np.mean(conditionDict[cond])  # calculate means per condition

Hope this helps.

Jan