Pavlovia not getting logged/synced in Psychopy Builder from Win7

Description of the problem:
Hi all,

I am trying to connect to Pavlovia through Psychopy Builder, but it is not getting logged in, or sync through the buttons (the four globe buttons) given in builder view. The interesting things are:

1. This is a recent development as this was not the problem sometime back on Psychopy Builder;
  2. The error, that is being pasted below, is looking like an internet connection error, but ironically, I am using the same internet to access Pavlovia.org on my browser and other websites (like this one) just fine.

I am using Psychopy v2020.1.3.

Here is the error when trying to log in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui_base.py”, line 109, in onConnectionErr
raise Exception(“{}: No internet connection available.”.format(event.GetString()))
Exception: INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE: No internet connection available.
518657.8668 INFO OAuthBrowser.onNewURL: Sign in · GitLab

And here is the error when trying to sync:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui_base.py”, line 109, in onConnectionErr
raise Exception(“{}: No internet connection available.”.format(event.GetString()))
Exception: INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE: No internet connection available.
518739.7554 INFO OAuthBrowser.onNewURL: Sign in · GitLab

I know the errors look the same, but it’s a weird one, which I am not able to figure out. Thus help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Does this happen with a particular experiment or even with a blank one. I’m just wondering whether you have a hidden .git folder containing the wrong username or connection details. Have you made any changes to your Pavlovia username, for example?

Hi @wakecarter,

Thanks for the reply. It happens on blank one also. I have not made any changes with my Pavlovia username recently, but I have changed my system on I was working recently.

Also, I didn’t notice before, but when I saw your git folder question, I did see that when builder opens, or when I try to connect to Pavlovia, a cmd screen for git.exe pops for a small amount of time, and then closes itself. Could this be the issue?

I searched for the error message on this forum, which got me to this post: Psychopy no Internet connection issue

Might you run Windows 7?

@thomas_pronk,

Thanks, a good catch, and yes this is weird! I indeed am using Win7. Is that an update issue or OS issue? And what’s the way around that? Because at the moment, I do not have access to my institute’s system where I use Win10.

I’m not sure whether there is a workaround, but I can speculate a bit.

You could consider asking a question in the “other” category about it, then you’ll draw the attention of the Python experts.

1 Like

Hi @thomas_pronk,

I see, thanks for looking into it. I will go through your links and see where it leads me!

I’ll also create a new category query as you suggested!

1 Like

Aight. Good luck nailing it @Shardul_Shankar!

Psychopy can be run with windows 7, but it cannot sync with pavlovia with window 7

Thomas Pronk via PsychoPy <psychopy@discoursemail.com> 於 2021年1月3日 週日 下午6:45 寫道:

My guess is that Win7 didn’t have the necessary security cyphers for secure https communication from python

1 Like

Hi @jon,

So what can we do about it, other than changing our OS?

You can upload your experiments by other means:

• install a git client (either command line or a Graphical tool like gitkraken)
  • upload your experiment direct to the web interface at gitlab.pavlovia.org

I’ll look into adding back PsychoPy application support for ssh connections, rather than https, which may help but ultimately if win7 doesn’t support modern security protocols (it is 10 years old now) then some parts of the PsychoPy functionality will not be supported there.

Thanks @jon! I’ll do what you said and get back to you if problem persists/arises.