How do I set up a multiple object tracking experiment?

OS (e.g. Win10): Windows 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 1.90.3

Hi peeps,

I’m trying to set up a multiple object tracking experiment similar to the one set up my Pylyshyn and Storm (1988), or something like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBNj5i62Wo

I would like to set it up so that I can control the number of distractor objects, the velocity of the objects, the number of objects highlighted, and the random movements of the objects (the movements need to be random). I’m a complete beginner to using PsychoPy or python in general, so I don’t know where to begin :frowning:

You need to break this down to the simplest element, and build up to incorporate your other design requirements.

i.e. start with a single object and learn to animate it along a linear path at constant velocity by changing its position on every frame. Then you’ll hit the next goal, which is non-trivial: defining exactly what you mean by “random movement”. But once you have one stimulus moving in the desired random (?Brownian) motion, you’ll find that moving multiple ones is relatively simple. And so on.

Thanks for your advice!