psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Error: "pyglet.gl.lib.MissingFunctionException: glActiveTexture is not exported by the available OpenGL driver." -- But according to an OpenGL extension viewer app, "glActiveTexture" -is- supported?

We recently got some new computers set up for our lab. They’re running Windows 10 with the latest version of PsychoPy (3.2.3 64-bit, standalone installer) and have integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics with the latest driver installed. When I tried to run a couple of our existing PsychoPy experiments on the new computers, after the experiment window tried to launch, I got the following error message in the PsychoPy console:

pyglet.gl.lib.MissingFunctionException: glActiveTexture is not exported by the available OpenGL driver.

A little bit of Googling located the following two PsychoPy threads on this apparently known issue:

According to those threads, the graphics hardware may be too old and the only solution might be to upgrade the hardware.

We had someone come out from our computing services department to look into the problem and they said the following though:

The computers have integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics with the latest version of the driver installed (from 2016, since these are unsupported bow). And they support up to OpenGL 3.1. I tested an OpenGL extension viewer app and it confirmed full support for all functionality of OpenGL up through 3.1 and some features of higher versions. This included the function “glActiveTexture” that Alyssa mentioned as part of the error message. So to summarize, the computers seem to work. I’m not sure what else we can do.

So it doesn’t seem to be a hardware problem actually.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Is it possible that it’s a bug in PsychoPy?

I assume that buying some cheap newer graphics cards and installing them into the computers might resolve the issue. (If so, any good recommendations?)

Thank you.

Bump.

Could you provide the full output of the error message, not just the last line?

Could you go to to the Coder demos and run the sysInfo demo and post the output of that?

Sure, I’ll do those when I’m on-campus tomorrow. Thank you for the response!

Here is the full output for the experiment:

##### Running: G:\My Drive\ConUtil_Inst\Experiment.py #####
pygame 1.9.4
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
2.8717     WARNING     Monitor specification not found. Creating a temporary one...
2.8768     WARNING     User requested fullscreen with size [1680 1050], but screen is actually [1600, 900]. Using actual size
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "G:\My Drive\ConUtil_Inst\Experiment.py", line 134, in <module>
    Instructions1 = visual.ImageStim(win=experimentWindow, image="Images/Instructions1.png")
  File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\image.py", line 107, in __init__
    self._updateList()  # ie refresh display list
  File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\basevisual.py", line 1198, in _updateList
    self._updateListNoShaders()
  File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\image.py", line 201, in _updateListNoShaders
    GL.glActiveTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE1)
  File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\lib_wgl.py", line 106, in __call__
    return self.func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\lib.py", line 63, in MissingFunction
    raise MissingFunctionException(name, requires, suggestions)
pyglet.gl.lib.MissingFunctionException: glActiveTexture is not exported by the available OpenGL driver.

And here is the sysInfo demo output:

Problem compiling: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\PsychoPy3\\lib\\site-packages\\psychopy\\demos\\coder\\__pycache__\\sysInfo.cpython-36.pyc.2301737434128'
##### Running: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\demos\coder\sysInfo.py #####
pygame 1.9.4
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Paths to files on the system:
    userPrefsFile: C:\Users\mlab\AppData\Roaming\psychopy3\userPrefs.cfg
    appDataFile: C:\Users\mlab\AppData\Roaming\psychopy3\appData.cfg
    demos: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\demos
    appFile: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\PsychoPy.py

System info:
Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0

Python info
C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\pythonw.exe
3.6.6 (v3.6.6:4cf1f54eb7, Jun 27 2018, 03:37:03) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)]
numpy 1.15.0
scipy 1.1.0
matplotlib 2.2.2
pyglet 1.3.2
pyo 0.9.7

PsychoPy 3.2.3
have shaders: False

OpenGL info:
vendor: Microsoft Corporation
rendering engine: GDI Generic
OpenGL version: 1.1.0
(Selected) Extensions:
     False GL_ARB_multitexture
     False GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
     False GL_ARB_fragment_program
     False GL_ARB_shader_objects
     False GL_ARB_vertex_shader
     False GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
     False GL_ARB_texture_float
     False GL_STEREO
    max vertices in vertex array: 256
2.8300     WARNING     Monitor specification not found. Creating a temporary one...

Bump.