Designing a flanker experiment

I am a first year psychology student designing a flanker experiment on PsychoPy, where the given stimulus is a row of arrows (<<<><<<)

I have been asked to make the target (central) arrow appear before 10ms the flanker arrows ( either side of the central arrow), and I have no clue how to do this, since i am inputting the stimulus from excel into PsychoPy.

Does anyone know how to do this or have any suggestions?

Hello brainbuilder

a simple solution would be to have two columns in an Excel-file, one containing the target only, the other the target and its flanker. In your trial create two text-components, one for the target only, the other for the target and the flanker. Let the text-component containing the target appear earlier than the text-component containing the target and its flankers.

BTW, most monitors have a refresh rate of 60 Hz, that is they refresh the screen every 16.667 ms. So, for technical reasons your target will not appear 10 ms before target+flanker. If your monitor has a refresh rate of 100 Hz, you are fine. You might want to use frames for start and duration of your visual stimuli. This way you know how long your stimuli were presented, e.g. 10 frames = 166.67 ms.

Best wishes Jens

Thanks, it worked!