Can I use the builder to make my .wav files appear to be coming from the left or right?

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Mac Big Sur
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Yes.
What are you trying to achieve?:
Auditory task.

I am putting together an auditory task in the builder where pts will hear a specific syllable change on a 20-step continuum (think ba to ga). I’d like to make the sounds appear as though they are coming from more from the left or right on varying trials so as to test if folks can detect the change in syllable as well as location. I’ve got the syllable situation working but have struggled figuring out how to make them present on one side, the other, or in the middle per usual.

What did you try to make it work?:
Tried inputting a into the builder that I found online:
left_low = sound.Sound(300, secs=3, sampleRate=44100, stereo=True)
left_high = sound.Sound(600, secs=3, sampleRate=44100, stereo=True)
right_low = sound.Sound(300, secs=3, sampleRate=44100, stereo=True)
right_high = sound.Sound(600, secs=3, sampleRate=44100, stereo=True)

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Error message says these variables are undefined. In my spreadsheet I have them input in each row next to a particular .wav file, under the heading of Location. I tried defining a new var of location but this was not helpful for defining these. Is there a way to accomplish this via the builder?

Thanks!

What I did a few years ago for an experiment on Binaural beats was to simply have a stereo sound file (which I converted to mono for the control condition).

Can you use Audacity to create versions of each file presenting to the left, right, or both ears?

Thanks for the advice, Wake. After some digging I did see you had suggested that in the past and I went ahead and tried that. Seems Audacity is a really solid way to achieve this because it worked for me.

Thanks again!