Why would psychopy not be activated on the screen?

Hello,
I faced the very basic problem.

I just started psychopy on win 7 x64 computer.
First a few days it worked alright, but it doesn’t appear on the screen out of the blue.
I don’t know what I did and I deleted the program and reinstall a few times, but still doesn’t work.

When I activate the specific file, it runs well.
However, if I try to make a new experiment by clicking psychopy icon, it doesn’t appear on the screen (still presenting on the task bar though).
What should I do?

Thank you for reading in advance.

Best regards,
Nayeon

I cannot follow. What exactly doesn’t appear on the screen? The PsychoPy application window? Or does your experiment not show up after clicking the Run button?

Psychopy application window doesn’t appear on the screen.

Does cleaning the preferences solve this issue for you?

If my suspicions are correct, this is a windows problem and not a psychopy problem. This used to happen on a windows machine I used with different applications. Try the advice in the link below. I’ll quote the relevant parts here in case the link ever goes dead:

Getting Your Hidden Window Back with Cascade Windows
The easiest way to get back a hidden window is to just right-click on the Taskbar and select “Cascade windows”.

If that doesn’t work, proceed with the keyboard trick below.

Getting Your Hidden Window Back with the Keyboard Trick

There’s a simple trick to get around this. First make sure you’ve
alt-tabbed to the window, or clicked on it once to bring it into focus.
Then right-click on the taskbar and choose Move.

Note: If you’re using Windows 8 or 10 you might have to hold
down the SHIFT key before right-clicking in order to get the Move menu
item to show up.

At this point, you should notice that your cursor changes to the “Move” cursor, but you still can’t move anything.

Just hit any one of the arrow keys (Left, Right, Down, Up), move your
mouse, and the window should magically “pop” back onto the screen.

Note: For keyboard savvy people, you can just alt-tab to the window,
use Alt+Space, then M, then Arrow key, and then move your mouse.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/bring-misplaced-off-screen-windows-back-to-your-desktop-keyboard-trick/

7 Likes

Thank you!

I had a similar problem. Apparently the PsychoPy window was just very small and hidden in a corner of my monitor. So the 1. trick didn’t help, but when I moved that small hidden window I saw it and just resized it :slight_smile: